Trailer Fork Pockets

/ Trailer Fork Pockets #1  

GreatWhitehunter

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 110 TLB
I'm about to pick up my new Cam Superline trailer next week and I ordered it with the fork pockets.
My other trailer(Load Trail Dump) has fork pockets also. After using them a few times on the dump it really tears up the paint (PC on the dump, paint on the Cam)
I got to thinking that maybe I should line the bottom of the pockets with something like strips of telfon/ptfe/hpde to keep the metal on metal to a min and the paint good/rust at bay. I googled the idea I had hoping I'd find someone had already tried this but came up with nothing. Then I got to thinking about a graphite dry lube instead. Anyone have any other suggestions? The forks are Bradco HD model so they weigh 200-300 lbs if I recall.

Matt:confused3:

/ Trailer Fork Pockets #2  
A strip of conveyer belting in the pocket adhered to the deck?

/ Trailer Fork Pockets #3  
Have the wife knit some "fork mittens?" :laughing:

/ Trailer Fork Pockets #6  
Have it sprayed with bed liner material. .. The real stuff, not the auto store crap.

/ Trailer Fork Pockets
Have it sprayed with bed liner material. .. The real stuff, not the auto store crap.

Just like the conveyor belt, not good for sliding the forks in and out of. That's where something like a Teflon strip would really shine.
So nobody thinks the graphite dry lube would be a good idea? One thing to keep in mind is that unlike a skid steer the visibility of the forks and even the pockets isn't very good with a tractor. There are times when you need to be able to jockey the forks around a little to get them hooked up. I'm looking for something that offers both protection and slide ability.

Matt

/ Trailer Fork Pockets #8  
Just like the conveyor belt, not good for sliding the forks in and out of. That's where something like a Teflon strip would really shine.
So nobody thinks the graphite dry lube would be a good idea?

Matt

I have it in the bed of my dump truck. It works great. You will be moving your forks in and out with a machine and doing so, the small amount of grip the forks may or may not have on the bed liner material would be irrelevant. Thee would however tend to slop around in the pockets a bit less when traveling which is a plus.

/ Trailer Fork Pockets
Have the wife knit some "fork mittens?" :laughing:

You know Luke, you may actually be on to something there! If I were to pick up some used fire hose in the right diameter that might just make one heck of a mitten that would both protect and slide in the pockets.

Matt

/ Trailer Fork Pockets
I'm not entirely sure I agree as I have Line X in my truck and the forks don't slide well on it at all.

Matt