dump trailer

/ dump trailer #1  

avclay

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1910 purchased with 1500 hrs and FEL
I just got a '04 Chevy 2500 HD w/ the Duramax engine and Allsion transmission. I do light landscaping on the side and I'm getting rid of the old dump truck I have to get a dump trailer for the truck. I'm looking for something to tow my ford 1910 and implements with along with the various materials I need to move.
I've been checking around and looking at the bigger trailers. The truck can haul @17k lbs from a gooseneck and 12k lbs from the bumper. With the bigger trailers by the time you subtract the trailer weight from the GVWR, your down to 12k lbs material capacity.
I've only really looked into Bri-Mar. The dealer there told me you can't use a deck over trailer to haul equipment because the ramps would have to be to substantial - weight wise.
I'm really looking for any advice - I haven't found any dump trailer sites like this, with all the advice. I'm looking for whatever suggestions you guy might have.

/ dump trailer #2  
Keep looking, there are some very nice trailer companies that make heavy dump trailers in both gooseneck or bumper pull that have ramps. Your 1910 is fairly light so you can check into a lot of trailer companies like EZ Dumper, Apalachian (sp?), PJ trailers PJ's website , Featherlite and there are others I can't remember. Search the web and you should find something.

/ dump trailer #3  
Just bought a 14000gvw gooseneck dump. Has 14'x7' bed, 2' high sides. Bed is 2' above the ground, trailer has 5' ramps. Manufacter has a 10year warranty on frame. Trailer has G rated (14 ply) tires as standard equipment. It was not cheap, but I believe you get what you pay for. Trailer was H&H, built in Iowa. They have a web site www.hhtrailer.com

/ dump trailer #4  
Avclay,

I just bought a used, 14' X 6' 8" W X 18" deep, low profile dump trialer. It is 14,000 gvw, has brakes on both axles. This trailer is a 2001, built by Sands Welding out of Michigan. It was owned by a masonary contractor, and had been well used when I bought it. I had to do some welding repairs, straighten fenders, repair/replace lights and wiring, and, I ended up repainting it cause it had mortor splashed all over it. Also had to replace some of the bearings/races on the axles. I paid $2,000.00 for the trailer, and after all the repairs, have about $2,500.00 in it.
I had looked at both used and new dump trailers for about a year before I found this one. I have a JD 4310 with loader and backhoe that I haul in this trailer. My truck is a Ford 2003, F 350, short bed, 4X4, dually.
Some observations/opinions based on my experiances so far.
If your going to haul a C.U.T. in a dump trailer, you need at least a 14' bed. I have to drop the bucket off the loader arms to fit mine inside the bed/tailgate, with a 6' boxblade attached to the 3pt. Bucket sets on the floor in front of the tractor and loader arms set on top of the front of the trailer box.
You want to look at the type of lift that the trailer comes with. Mine is a scissor lift, and seems to work fine, but I think a double cylinder would be more stable and lift better. You also want to have grease zerks on all the pivot points on the lift and trailer. A lot of the cheaper trailers don't have these. My factory trailer hitch on the truck is rated at 10K pull/ 1000 lb. tongue - with a weight distributing hitch. In order for you to use a tag trailer you will either have to change your factory hitch to a heavier rated one, or, install a W.D. assembly on the trailer. None of the ones I looked at came with the W.D. set up, and all of them had a straight tongue, so installing a W.D. set up takes an adapter.
I have hauled 10K lbs. of recycled roadbase in mine, with out any W.D. hitch, and it really is important to have it loaded so you don't have too much tongue weight. I hauled seven loads like this, but only 3 miles total distance. If I was to go farther, I would install my W.D. setup off my car trailer before attempting it. Even with the one ton dually, it really gets squirley.
You also want the trailer to have heavy duty tie down rings, or install them yourself, to tie down your tractor. Under bed storage for the ramps is also a big feature. My ramps store in a cradel on the front of the trailer box, and are a real pain to have to haul out and around to the back every time I want to load/unload. I will make storage hangers under the back of the trailer this summer to fix this.
Look at your tailgate options also. Mine has a three way tailgate. Spreader, opens at bottom with chains set to the size gap you want for spreading gravel etc., Fold down, like a pick up truck tailgate, and right side hinge, swings around to the side for loading/unloading equipment, or dumping trash.
You will also want either a corded remote switch for the hoist control, or, some of the builders offer a wireless remote. It is real nice to be able to raise the bed while still in the cab of the truck to spread materials. Also nice not to have to stand right next to the trailer when dumping. Mine has a single lever on the front of the hoist box, so I have to be right in front of the trailer to run the hoist up and down, not very convenient.
Looking around, you'll find these trailers run from a low of about $4,700.00 to over $8,000.00 depending on brand and features. Around here, they seem to maintain their value pretty well. I think for what I spent on mine, if I keep it in decent shape, I can use it for 3 or 4 years, and sell it for as much or more, than I spent on it.
One other thing, I bought a tag trailer cause I have a shell on the back of my truck, and carry tools all of the time. A goose neck would be a better overall dump/equipment traler cause they tow better, carry more weight, are available in longer/wider dimensions, and are more manuverable. But for my occaisonal use, a tag works just fine.
Hope my ramblings help, or at least give you some things to think about.
Good luck with your search.

DT

/ dump trailer #5  
For a heavy duty setup like what you’re looking for I would go with the gooseneck dump. I have a gooseneck stock trailer and flatbed that pull nice loaded. Someday I hope to get a 7X14 GN dump. The gooseneck centers the weight so much better than a bumper pull. They do cut the corners so swing wide on your turns. My wife seems to have a hard time learning this.

The dump trailers I have looked at are made by PJ trailers and load trail . Both are very good quality.

Must be fun getting such a nice truck and trailer at the same time.

Eric

/ dump trailer #6  
I have a big tex dump trailer and love it. Its bumper pull because I want to pull it with my tractor as well as my truck.
If you want to only pull it with a truck then get the gooseneck.
The load capability is much higher, and I think safer.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The truck can haul @17k lbs from a gooseneck and 12k lbs from the bumper. )</font>
I doubt you will be able to pull those kinds of loads legally. Your GVWR is ~9200? If so even if you stay under the GCWR no way you can legally pull 17000 lbs. You will be way over GCWR with a gooseneck.
I have a dodge 1 ton SRW, and I can not legally pull that much weight and my GVWR is 9900 lbs.
Of course it will pull it but you will still be ilegal.

Fred

/ dump trailer #7  
avclay,
I'm doing light landscaping myself with my 2120. I have separate equipment and dump trailers. I also have a 3/4 ton truck. Do you have a commercial license already? I don't, and I believe I am limited to towing 10,000 lbs. in NY even though the trailer is rated for 11,000. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

/ dump trailer #8  
Tom,

In Colorado a CDL is not required until you exceed 26,000 lbs., GVWR or GCWR.
You should be able to look up your states Motor Vehicle department and check the regs. for your area.
Also, check the GCWR as well as the hitch ratings for your tow vehicle. If involved in an accident, or stopped for some other reason, and you are over those ratings, you can and probably will receive a ticket.
On my 2003 F-350 dually, the GCWR is 20,000 lbs.
Since the truck weighs about 8,000 lbs. loaded, with the correct hitch my max trailer/cargo capacity, to stay within the manufactures limits, is 12,000 lbs.

Diggin it,

DT

/ dump trailer #9  
I've found the specs and pictures at BMF Trailers to be enticing. The URL I linked to is for one of their models of dump trailers.

/ dump trailer #10  
I am a professional landscape contractor and bought a Bri-Mar gooseneck dump trailer in 1998 and have used it everyday since. I have had no trouble with mine at all and would not hesitate to buy another. One thing to keep in mind though, is to make sure that you use a deep cycle marine battery and try to keep it charged as much as possible. There is nothing worse than getting to the dump site and then having to grab the good old shovel!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I have overloaded this trailer quite a few times when the rain was on the horizon or the day was drawing to a close and it has handled it well. I haul everything from small track loaders to my midsize John Deere 110 backhoe in it with no trouble.

Good luck with your search! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif