How to Tie Down JD3720

/ How to Tie Down JD3720 #1  

Deere Dude

Elite Member
Beaver Dam Wisconsin then to Hohenwald, TN
Tractor
John Deere 3720
I have JD3720 on my trailer right now and was wondering where to hook the front chain to. I understand crossing the chains and using binders etc.

In times past I have already just put a chain around the front axle and tie down to the respective side rail, but that pulled out on the front tires which I didn't like.

If I hook the chain around the right side of the axle and run it to the left of the trailer, which should the the right way to go I think, the chain will possibly break the plastic oil filler knob. Maybe this is peculiar to the JD models but am looking for a solution.

/ How to Tie Down JD3720 #2  
The front weight bracket is the one the dealer went for when I got my 3520.

/ How to Tie Down JD3720 #4  
I allways cross a tie strap from both corners of the trailer (left and right) through the front and rear drawbars of the tractor. Yours doesnt have a front drawbar ?

/ How to Tie Down JD3720 #5  
Nothing wrong with crossing chains but you don't have to. Really there is no reason to as long as you have good angles on all four corners pulling out and down. I haul a bunch of things including some heavy equipment for hire on my semi and I rarely cross chains. Maybe you can find a way to hook it without interfereing with things if you don't cross them?

/ How to Tie Down JD3720
I allways cross a tie strap from both corners of the trailer (left and right) through the front and rear drawbars of the tractor. Yours doesnt have a front drawbar ?

The back I have no problem because I use the hook on the drawbar. I hook the chain then drive ahead until the tractor squats.

But the front I have hooked around the 4wd axle and then tied to the respective sides and not cross the chain. But then the chain is against the front tire and pulls it outward. This happens on both sides which I wasn't comfortable with.

But, hooking around the axle on the left and crossing over to the right side of the trailer doesn't do that. Where I have problem is putting the chain around the 4wd axle on the right side of the tractor. A fill knob sticks up a half inch or so and that is right where the chain wants to slid while I am drawing it tight.

Like someone mentioned before, go around or through the weight bracket or the frame in the front of the tractor. I thing I would have a hole for running the chain somewhere on that...

Also, then I would not have to cross the chain which I don't think is important and it would draw down and away on both sides.