24 foot rollback ideas

/ 24 foot rollback ideas #1  

woody

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, Kubota ZG222, Kubota L45, 1980 Ford 1700
I finally bit the bullet and ordered the Rollback trailer, but there are some things I am not satisfied with so I am looking for ideas and suggestions to do to this trailer to fix some things that are not just right and to add some things that would make it more old man friendly.
I have redone the battery on the winch and plan to redo the one on the hydraulics.
I added a wireless remote to the winch.
The trailer is tongue heavy but I don't know weather to shorten the tongue, move the axles forward or move the storage box back.

Attachments

• RollBack (10).jpg
    RollBack (10).jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 468
  • RollBack  (8).jpg
    RollBack (8).jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 436
  • RollBack  (6).jpg
    RollBack (6).jpg
    5 MB · Views: 397
  • RollBack  (5).jpg
    RollBack (5).jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 383
  • RollBack  (1).jpg
    RollBack (1).jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 420
   / 24 foot rollback ideas #2  
The trailer is tongue heavy but I don't know weather to shorten the tongue, move the axles forward or move the storage box back.

how about all three? though in terms of ease the reverse order would be easiest and stop when you find a balance you are happy with. what about the tires? trailer tires are always my biggest issue with trailers

/ 24 foot rollback ideas #3  
I would not modify the trailer. It is a rollback trailer and I believe the manufacturer designed and built it this way for a good reason. There is a lot of weight to this trailer with all the extra parts and material required to make it roll back.
Shortening the tongue or moving the axles forward would make it less tongue heavy but how will that affect the function as a roll back. Moving the box won't make much difference. By the way, why is that big hole torched in the box. I hope it didn't come new that way. I have a tilt bed trailer that has 1100 lb.of tongue weight and it tows perfectly. If you feel tongue weight is too much for your truck beef up the suspension on the truck.

/ 24 foot rollback ideas #4  
Invest in a good set of air bags on the rear axle and call it good.

/ 24 foot rollback ideas #5  
I tend to look at things differently, if that was my trailer like I mentioned earlier, I'd convert to a class 5 pintle hitch. I would also just add a 3rd axle in front of the current ones to combat the heavy hitch. It would give you more real world capacity, not necessarily legal load but also give you some extra breaking. I think down here I could get everything needed for about $750 and to me I'd rather do that than cut 4 spring hangers and deal with getting it squared back up right

Brett

/ 24 foot rollback ideas
Thanks for the reply, yes moving the box will probably be the easiest but if I did decide to move the axles I would have to move the box again. I don't think it would take all three to better balance the trailer on my way home I slid the bed back about a foot and it made a big difference.

/ 24 foot rollback ideas #7  
Thanks for the reply, yes moving the box will probably be the easiest but if I did decide to move the axles I would have to move the box again. I don't think it would take all three to better balance the trailer on my way home I slid the bed back about a foot and it made a big difference.

Was that loaded or unloaded? I wish I knew the thought process of the builder on why he set the axles so far back?.

Brett

/ 24 foot rollback ideas
Thanks George, looking at the other rollbacks this guy built none of them have a 12inch I-beam for a frame maybe he learnt something on the other ones I don't know. I don't believe shortening the tongue would change the rollback function but yes moving the axle might. yes the hole was there the worker cut the hole instead of unwiring the wired remote so he could pass the remote through the hole and put it in the box. I did fix that and put the wire in a rubber grommet. the tongue measures 7.5 feet from the center of the trailer to the coupling.

/ 24 foot rollback ideas
Was that loaded or unloaded? I wish I knew the thought process of the builder on why he set the axles so far back?.

Brett

That was unloaded, I made the comment when I first seen it that it appeared to be tongue heavy and he said if I happen to load it tongue heavy to slid the bed so on my way home I remembered what he said and slid the bed.

/ 24 foot rollback ideas
hole repair, still need to secure the cable but I would like to change the hydraulic function to wireless then I could lower the trailer from the tractor seat. RollBack (7).jpg