Transporting Tractor 1000 miles, Rent??

/ Transporting Tractor 1000 miles, Rent?? #21  
Just the gas/diesel is going to cost at least $500 for that trip. Add some more for 3 or more nights in a motel...that's going to be an expensive tractor. BUT it would be a great honeymoon trip. When are you leaving?

/ Transporting Tractor 1000 miles, Rent?? #22  
Between finding a suitable trailer and dealing with the headache of passing through different states with different DOT rules especially if the trailer you use is rated for more than 10k I'd seriously consider putting it on uship.

You might come out ahead if everything goes right, no flats, no breakdowns, etc... but there are opportunities to lose big if you have an issue on the road.

That would all easily fit on a gooseneck and you should be able to find a hot shot to do it for $2 a mile.

/ Transporting Tractor 1000 miles, Rent?? #23  
Here's my take. Find a trailer near the tractor to buy. Call dealers, CL or magazines. Drive there unloaded. Buy trailer suitable for load, haul tractor home carefully. Keep or sell trailer. No way will I spend 2k on that and have nothing to show for it. I'd rather spend an extra 500-1000 and have a trailer out of the deal.

Uhaul might work but that's where i think it's getting a little wild even for me. I might try it but would never recommend you to

Brett

/ Transporting Tractor 1000 miles, Rent?? #24  
From where to where may I ask?

/ Transporting Tractor 1000 miles, Rent?? #25  
FWIW, none of my local trailer places will allow you to go to another state. (uhaul will but they don't rent real trailers)

/ Transporting Tractor 1000 miles, Rent?? #26  
The local rental place here rents 12K trailers but you have to have a ¾ ton truck, no ½ tons.

/ Transporting Tractor 1000 miles, Rent?? #27  
Look at renting a truck and trailer from someone like Hertz at the pickup point that lets you one way stuff. Fly there and drive home. Probably a wash cost over having it hauled. There are independent truckers always looking for a dead heading load. Talk to all the shippers dispatchers to get a lead on one. Just ideas off the top of my head; I would not consider doing what you are doing and I am not a novice at all this. Minimum truck size for you load is a 3/4 ton and 12,000# trailer as others have said.

Ron

/ Transporting Tractor 1000 miles, Rent?? #28  
I'd probably try to find a tractor closer to home and add the cost of retrieving the one you're looking at to the price you pay for a closer tractor. What'll happen if you're 100 miles into the return trip and your Suburban quits on you?

/ Transporting Tractor 1000 miles, Rent?? #29  
Your not prepared to handle this now pay the S/H

/ Transporting Tractor 1000 miles, Rent?? #30  
Lot of good valid points have been made. I would tow what you're considering with the towing vehicle you have for a short distance only, but no way would i consider 1000 miles. Borrow or rent a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup if you are determent to haul it yourself, after you find a 20+ foot trailer.