Transporting Tractor 1000 miles, Rent??

/ Transporting Tractor 1000 miles, Rent?? #1  

Schmoopette

Tractor
None Yet
Hi y'all-

I'm a tractor rookie. I'm hoping to purchase my first tractor via auction. Problem is, it's 1000 miles away. I have a Chevy Suburban. The tractor weighs 5000, plus there are 3 implements with it to add weight. Assuming my truck can pull the weight, is there anywhere that rents a trailer capable of hitching onto my suburban? We have the sway braces and all that from pulling a heavy camping trailer. If so, where do you recommend? The shipping would be $2400. So, if I can do myself, I will...

Thoughts?

If I'm being foolish or stupid, let me know.

/ Transporting Tractor 1000 miles, Rent?? #2  
Spend that shipping money on a trailer to haul it with and you will have free rides to a dealership should it ever need service you cannot do. Then you can start looking at craigslist more often, because you will have a trailer that can bring almost anything home :)

/ Transporting Tractor 1000 miles, Rent??
Ok.. but do companies rent these trailers? Just wondering in case I'm in a jam and have to do this real quick (too quick to buy the trailer). I'm super impulsive, and my husband likes slow methodical research. I want it now :-D

/ Transporting Tractor 1000 miles, Rent?? #4  
Ok.. but do companies rent these trailers? Just wondering in case I'm in a jam and have to do this real quick (too quick to buy the trailer). I'm super impulsive, and my husband likes slow methodical research. I want it now :-D

I do not know about up there but around here you can rent trailers like that. I do not know that I would take one across country, they are typically rented by people who are not very nice to them when they have them.

/ Transporting Tractor 1000 miles, Rent?? #5  
If you post more specifics we may be able to help you size trailers. Also you may want to try to find a shipper. Look at Uship

/ Transporting Tractor 1000 miles, Rent?? #6  
Uhaul rents trailers. As long as your vehicle is equipped with tow package and the trailers have brakes you might be ok. What are the implements? The weight is getting dangerously high quick.

So more specifics. It's a Mahindra 4025, 2WD, likely weighs 4389 lbs. Has a loader bucket, likely weights 1400 lbs. Then add 5' bush hog, and box blade. Methinks that's over the U Haul limit.

/ Transporting Tractor 1000 miles, Rent?? #8  
Are the tires loaded? The published loader weight probably doesn't include the bucket. I wouldn't pull that with my suburban or my Silverado 1500. It wouldn't be any problem for my F-350.

Yeah.. don't know about the tires being loaded. I'm a rookie.. and don't even know what that means ...we have sway braces and electronic brakes, if that helps.

/ Transporting Tractor 1000 miles, Rent?? #10  
Drive 2000 miles round trip, with fuel costs, lodging costs and trailer rental vs delivery for $2400. I'd ship it.