Uber and Lyft - alternatives to taxis. Do you use it? Good od not?

/ Uber and Lyft - alternatives to taxis. Do you use it? Good od not? #1  

two_bit_score

Super Star Member
Texas - from the brush and pear to the piney woods
Tractor
John Deere 110 TLB, Diamond C 19LPX GN trailer
As This is a question regarding transportation this seems to be the most appro forum.

What do you think about Uber or Lyft?

TBS

/ Uber and Lyft - alternatives to taxis. Do you use it? Good od not? #2  
I hate bullys , and the way uber pushed their way into various cities , without a level playing field of rules and regulations for drivers and insurance, only starting to fix that after they had already got the marketplace of yuppies to want to use them ..........set me off on a lack of respect for them....so I will never use them.

/ Uber and Lyft - alternatives to taxis. Do you use it? Good od not? #3  
I used Uber when we took a trip to the west coast last year. I was very impressed. The prices were half that of taxis most of the time, the vehicles were clean, and the drivers were sociable. I liked the phone app so I knew where the driver was as he/she approached. Downside to Uber is they have 'surge' times where the demand exceeds the available drivers. When this happens, the price rises can skyrocket based on the call demand. If you're willing to wait, the app will tell you when the surge has passed and rates return to normal. I like the fact that the both sides rate the other as it weeds out bad drivers and bad customers. All in all, as a consumer, I say thumbs up.

/ Uber and Lyft - alternatives to taxis. Do you use it? Good od not? #4  
I have wondered how they get around the regulations?
Need business and drivers licence to transport passengers for hire.
Need different insurance on vehicle to transport passengers for hire.

/ Uber and Lyft - alternatives to taxis. Do you use it? Good od not? #5  
I consider Uber an immoral company. Lyft is better, and they've helped make taxis more responsive. I still use taxis as our neighborhood doesn't have much Lyft/Uber availability.

Laws aside, the deal is that taxi medallion owners have paid politicians big $$ for their monopolies. Now that competition sprung up despite their best efforts, the cabs are a lot cleaner and in better condition, and when you call for one they actually come when they say they are going to. This did not happen before Uber and Lyft. The politicians don't like it because their power to raise $$$ from cabs has been diminished or eliminated.

If you go to any of the grocery stores in Boston, there are a bunch of dudes hanging around outside waiting to see if anyone will pay for a ride. No accountability whatsoever, never seen any enforcement.

/ Uber and Lyft - alternatives to taxis. Do you use it? Good od not? #6  
In my business I use Uber weekly. I will avoid a Taxi at all cost now if possible.

Anyone who doesn't like them has obviously not used them.

Chris

/ Uber and Lyft - alternatives to taxis. Do you use it? Good od not? #7  
Here in B.C., you wouldn't be able to get proper insurance without a taxi license. I wouldn't risk riding with anyone that was stupid enough to try to operate without valid liability insurance.

/ Uber and Lyft - alternatives to taxis. Do you use it? Good od not? #8  
In my business I use Uber weekly. I will avoid a Taxi at all cost now if possible.

Anyone who doesn't like them has obviously not used them.

Chris

here in Canada (Ontario) in our city the Police Service Board of Directors approves many aspects of Taxi Services running in the city, that includes taxi driver security checks , and insurance requirements. Those aspects are all bypassed when a online service similar to a "underground" economy, system is used. Why would I want me or my girls to get into a car that I cannot trust has been "policed' as to being safe transportation , and as having the insurance that actually can apply if we are injured , in that car.(and security check system on drivers) Only lately has insurance companies come forward that will provide similar insurances that taxi companies already must have to operate. Eventually we will see (when accidents start occurring ) that although " Uber" tells us they demand their drivers have insurance , we will never be sure if the car you got into decided he wasn't going to bother to keep the insurance valid , and so you takes your risks. Buyer beware because system has many loop holes that unscrupulous Uber drivers can get around .

/ Uber and Lyft - alternatives to taxis. Do you use it? Good od not? #9  
Just another way that technology has really upset the old apple cart. They say that the Taxi Drivers are all approved and cleared, but I always feel like I am driving with a terrorist. The vibes I get, is that they are driving me, but hate my guts. And would take me the long way, if they could. I would sooner take my chances with Uber, but that's just me. I'll probably get Charlie Manson showing up.

/ Uber and Lyft - alternatives to taxis. Do you use it? Good od not? #10  
Uber is an interesting business study, it did not spring up over night as many think, but rather started small and grew over a number of years. The problem was, the taxi companies and business laws did not respond until Uber was a sizable force... such as using old communications. Uber captured the smartphone taxi app market and the taxi industry has been very slow to respond..