GM with the 2.8 diesel

/ GM with the 2.8 diesel #1  

lostcause

Platinum Member
I've got about 2 weeks and 1k miles now, so I figured I'd post my observations and opinions to date - for anyone who might be interested. Also, I figure the trolls are probably getting hungry and need a new post to chew on, and this small diesel should be plenty tasty to the number crunchers.

At the end of last winter I changed jobs and went from a 4 day a week 40 mile round trip to a 5+ day, 100~ish mile round trip. Between work and home I was spending in the ballpark of $500-$600 a month on fuel, even with decent prices at the end of winter - this was just a commute, not a business write-off. Since it was the end of the season I didn't concern myself with it, since I had a summer vehicle that was far more economical, but I made the plan to find a better winter commute before next winter. My initial plan was just an AWD with studs on all 4, and I started looking. A friend mentioned the small GM diesel and I initially blew it off just because of price alone. Eventually I weighed all the factors with adding a small AWD and realized that I would still have a 10+ year old truck that got 13 or less mpg for all my weekend and utility use, that was going to start becoming a repair liability before too long. A great trade in value, a vehicle rebate, a very hefty GM card redemption, and signing my life away for 5 years and I was driving a new Colorado.

I can guarantee that this vehicle isn't going to be for everyone, but for my needs I think it is going to work out well. If you drag a trailer around every day I would think it foolish to even consider, but if you need occasional small towing and carrying capability I think it may work out great. The bulk of 1/2 ton trucks I see here are now overgrown grocery getters, and frankly my 2500 became little more than that - times and needs changed since I bought it originally.

Two fill-ups in and i'm getting a little over 26mpg overall, and I'm squeaking out a little more every drive - last two days of driving to work were 28+. Around here there are virtually no long flat areas - it's all hilly, windy, and riddled with intersections and speed changes. There's one 4 lane interstate highway in the state and I very rarely drive it. Most of my driving is in 35-55mph zones, and seems to like that speed range. around 1500rpm at 55-60 mph is where it likes to putt along. I think I could easily get low-mid 30's on flat ground. My brief times on 95 have shown that 75mph loses fuel economy, even with consistent speed compared to country road driving. My biggest issue is the following the consciencous driver who does 45 in a 45 - the 6 speed needs you to keep pretty close to 55 to remain in high gear, though i have noticed consistent 40's in 5th can still get you over 25mpg. The small displacement and a lot of gears still keep me shifting a lot more than I'm used to, but the engine still feels and acts like a diesel, though you cannot hear or smell it. Keep some wipes in the vehicle because all the pumps I have ever used are always slimy and I'm not ready to replace the new car smell with diesel yet.

I can't speculate as to towing as of yet, but I'm not going to be upset if I get half fuel economy for my towing needs - the other 95% of my time i'm loving the economy and feel. the biggest thing I see people talking about is the fact that it won't have any power to pass when towing at 75mph. Well, where I am, if you're towing at 75mph and pull out to pass you are either on 95 or you're about to be in an ambulance. The roads I travel most of the time won't sustain that kind of driving, so it's a non-issue.

I will say that my previous 06 2500hd crew was the best truck I've had in my life. I'd never topped 5 years on a newer vehicle before, and ran that one for 10. I'd still be using it for weekend duties if I it just didn't seem like a good time to change. With the corrosion in Maine it's hard to keep a vehicle as long as you may like. If this one turns out half as good as that one, then it's still a win.

/ GM with the 2.8 diesel #2  
Subscribed. Thanks for posting.

You guys get all the good stuff ! Had to jump between country sites to make a guess (we don't have the baby Dmax up here yet)...... It's a Colorado you are driving ?

From what I can see on the USA site, your 6 speed is an automatic <- Correct ?

Not that this modern platform is what I'd call small, but it is great to see another diesel option out there. It sounds to be a great fit for your needs. (To be clear, that was a positive comment.... I started typing "Nice to see another small truck diesel option...." but realized that sounded wrong.....).

Didn't see much for numbers listed, other than GVWR #'s (typical ad-speak today). Do you have any payload #'s for the truck , or even curb-weight #'s ?

No, I'm not looking to turn that # around and say "Well, how are you going to carry 4 skids of stone back home in that thing", or some other troll-talk ;) ..... I'm just a #'s guy, and am interested to see how it compares to similar trucks.

As a personal light truck (vs. heavy work) this is a nice class of product. Scooby's thread, Compact Diesel Trucks that we can't Get Here, has some great examples like the VW Amarok. These vehicles address many people's personal transport and towing needs.

Rgds, D.

/ GM with the 2.8 diesel #3  
How did it price compare to a EcoDiesel? We have 5 or so at work and they are in 25 mpg range.

Chris

/ GM with the 2.8 diesel
Subscribed. Thanks for posting.

You guys get all the good stuff ! Had to jump between country sites to make a guess (we don't have the baby Dmax up here yet)...... It's a Colorado you are driving ? Yes, 2016 Chevy Colorado, Crew Cab Long Bed (6.2ft)

From what I can see on the USA site, your 6 speed is an automatic <- Correct ? Correct. 6L50 by my understanding, though this is an interesting thing - I read somewhere that the 6L50 was suitable for up to 330~ish ft-lb of torque, but this is 369 stock. I came across a performance site with a programmer solution that added ~80 ft-lb and they stated that put the engine at the limit of the 6L50, so ~450 ft-lb is doable on the 6L50? Time will tell I guess.

Not that this modern platform is what I'd call small, but it is great to see another diesel option out there. It sounds to be a great fit for your needs. (To be clear, that was a positive comment.... I started typing "Nice to see another small truck diesel option...." but realized that sounded wrong.....).

Didn't see much for numbers listed, other than GVWR #'s (typical ad-speak today). Do you have any payload #'s for the truck , or even curb-weight #'s ? GVWR is 6200 lb, payload (4x4, crew, long bed) is about 1450 I believe, so curb / dry weight at around 4750? Towing for the 4x4 is listed at 7600, so the payload kind of matches and doesn't leave you too lacking if these are correct. Again, my personal opinion is that this type of truck should be an occasional tower at most.

No, I'm not looking to turn that # around and say "Well, how are you going to carry 4 skids of stone back home in that thing", or some other troll-talk ;) ..... I'm just a #'s guy, and am interested to see how it compares to similar trucks.

As a personal light truck (vs. heavy work) this is a nice class of product. Scooby's thread, Compact Diesel Trucks that we can't Get Here, has some great examples like the VW Amarok. These vehicles address many people's personal transport and towing needs.

Rgds, D.

Hope this helps a little. I got the payload numbers from a site that did a review, but it seems accurate I think. The brochure listed max payload at 1590 lb but that was a 2wd crew gas V6. the The 4wd adds 200 GVWR but we lose that and another 150 or better to the diesel option. Here's a site that has what I think are mostly good numbers:

216 Chevrolet Colorado 2.8L Duramax Diesel – First Drive

/ GM with the 2.8 diesel
How did it price compare to a EcoDiesel? We have 5 or so at work and they are in 25 mpg range.

Chris

I will have to admit I didn't give the Ram the thorough looking into that I did the GM. I've owned a bunch of GM trucks and overall I haven't had any major complaints with anything that I bought new, so I've stuck with them. I also have closer ties to some GM mechanics and it's just an added sense of security. I tried to build a Ram, but I'm just not as familiar with the packages. I was getting well into the mid-high 40's to get a Ram that wasn't a work truck interior. To get a diesel in the Colorado requires a crew cab and either Z71 or LT trim levels, which was fine by me. I want the equivalent of a 90's loaded truck - power windows, locks, cruise, carpet, and decent seats. This is mostly the norm of today's base model, and the "base" diesel Colorado 4wd crew LT package is just over 39k. The Ram tradesman looks to come in about 1k cheaper at base price, but I don't know how those packages compare apples to apples.

/ GM with the 2.8 diesel #6  
Thanks for the #'s and the link lc. That looks like a reasonable payload for this class. The Ram Ecodiesel has been popular, but I tend to agree that its payload is low for a full-size.

There are plenty of people who need to tow no more than 5-7k# personally, once in a while. Most of the world doesn't tow 15k# RV trailers, and even here many people don't want to deal with something that size. There are the big trucks for that kind of work/play, but I'd say that at least 80% of the market can be addressed with a 7600# tow rating.

Please keep us updated as your seat-time and mileage #'s accumulate !

Rgds, D.

Last edited:
   / GM with the 2.8 diesel #7  
You're lucky you found one! I have yet to see a Duramax equipped Colorado or Canyon on any dealer lot or on dealers websites anywhere within a 150 mile radius of me. Never seen one in the wild either. These things would sell if dealers would order them! I was even told by a guy who wanted to order one that local dealers told him "they're on constraint, we aren't sure when you'll ever get your order but you can try". Wth?

/ GM with the 2.8 diesel #8  
Our 2015 5.3 4x4 crew cab Sierra averaged 22us gpm over the tank and according to the dash 28us gpm over a 30 mile portion of the trip.
With price of gas vs diesel at the pumps, the higher up front cost of the vehicle and the cost of emissions repairs after the warrenty expires .
I just can't make the numbers come out ahead for a diesel in 2016 in this country with the direct injection gassers . Through the 1990's sure the diesel was superior to gas .

/ GM with the 2.8 diesel
Our 2015 5.3 4x4 crew cab Sierra averaged 22us gpm over the tank and according to the dash 28us gpm over a 30 mile portion of the trip.
With price of gas vs diesel at the pumps, the higher up front cost of the vehicle and the cost of emissions repairs after the warrenty expires .
I just can't make the numbers come out ahead for a diesel in 2016 in this country with the direct injection gassers . Through the 1990's sure the diesel was superior to gas .

I hear what you're saying. Only time will tell the overall cost equation, and to be honest, I'm not expecting a huge operating cost difference, but I think there is still potential. I also think that geography plays a part - it's all hills, stop signs, turns and on and off the pedal driving for me. Some of the test reviews I saw have reported 30+ at times, and I've been able to pull 28+ for 150 miles as a best, so that's why I think the lack of straight and flat is a factor here.

My past experience has been able to squeak out 12-13mpg out of my 2500 and friends and family that have 1500 V8s are getting 15-18 overall. People I know with mid-size trucks are struggling to get much past 20, maybe up to 22. Mind you, this is best condition driving and everything is a 4wd.

I'm at 26+ over the first 1k miles, so I'm right on the verge of beating what I would likely get in a half ton by nearly 10mpg, and that's a 60%+ increase - 100%+ better than my previous truck. I'm about 5 over an equal sized gasser, and while that isn't enough to beat it in the diesel / gas mpg-cost equation, the off-idle rpm of the I4 diesel under load compared to the screaming rpm of the 3.whatever V6 required to pull the posted numbers is a factor for me.

/ GM with the 2.8 diesel #10  
The final official #'s on the 2.8 will be interesting.

This 2.8 is based off the engine Jeep used in the 05 Liberty. Using those old #'s, it's about 2mpg better on the highway, and 3mpg better in the city than the '15 5.3. Not enough for short term justification for many folks, but enough of a gain that many drivetrain engineers would cut off personal body parts for.

Fuel Economy

While I love the low rpm torque of a diesel for general drive-ability, I definitely appreciate how little the mpg drops under cargo/towing load.

Where I think DI gas motors have an advantage is that most have done away with the fuel filter (not my idea of a good move, but I wasn't asked ;) ) so no filter service is required.

Not that fuel filter service is a big deal IMO, but neglecting filter maintenance (average consumer behaviour today) is a really bad idea on a modern diesel.

I'd say that is one distinction I'd make with diesels today, they require slightly more attention (fluid specs, fuel quality, maintenance intervals) than modern gas engines - although even some of those are also getting rather picky about engine oil specs....

Given just a bit of regular maintenance, I've seen a Jeep 2.8 and the Chrysler/Daimler 3.0 run to high miles - I expect the OP to do as well - enjoy it !

Rgds, D.