Tonneau cover experiences and recommendations

/ Tonneau cover experiences and recommendations #1  

elginfarm

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4400
Hi all,
Just took delivery of a new 2016 F 250 King Ranch Crew Cab Diesel. Traded in my 2008 F250 due to the fact that I had some worries about the motor and the beginning of some rust issues. Plus, the price with incentives and what they offered me for my truck was too good to pass up. I have always had caps on my trucks but want to go with a cover this time. I am looking at the roll up type but am open to suggestions and advice. Please share your good and bad suggestions and input on your experience with covers. I am looking for a secure and reasonably water resistant cover for my tools and golf clubs (not both at the same time).
Thank you all for your input.
E. U.

/ Tonneau cover experiences and recommendations #2  
I have the soft roll-up cover and I love it. It allows me to roll it completely up all the way, and then I can put tall things in the bed of my F150, such as an ATV. However, someone can easily slash it and steal stuff out of the bed of the truck, so I suppose it depends on the neighbourhood you are in.

/ Tonneau cover experiences and recommendations #3  
I am looking at the roll up type but am open to suggestions and advice. Please share your good and bad suggestions and input on your experience with covers. I am looking for a secure and reasonably water resistant cover for my tools and golf clubs (not both at the same time).
Thank you all for your input.
E. U.

I have, and highly recommend, a metal roll-up cover. It occupies about an 8" square at the top and front end of the truck bed. These are far more secure than the soft covers, much nicer looking and can be either manual or power operation.

/ Tonneau cover experiences and recommendations #4  
My last truck had an ARE hard tonneau cover. It was a great locking cover and did a great job keeping the weather out but I was always limited because it only opened up about 30 degrees so I could never use the bed for anything tall that I needed to haul.

The new truck I decided to look for a fold up / roll up cover and found Peragon. The price was great (under $900) and very easy to install. They have step by step online videos to assist you with the install. This cover easily folds up, has deadbolt locking and is removable. Check out their website.

Retractable Pickup Truck Bed Covers, Tonneau Covers - Peragon(R)

Attachments

• DSCN1765 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1765 (Medium).JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 145
   / Tonneau cover experiences and recommendations #5  
I have a Bak Revolver X2 which is a roll up model with aluminum slats for security. I bought it so I could securely lock up my bed and at least make it more difficult for someone to get to my tools or golf clubs. I am mostly happy with it but it is not 100% watertight, it leaks a little in the corners in hard rains as well as the car wash. It rolls up above the bed as opposed to rolling up into a box which takes up bed space. I would give it an A- or B+. Full disclosure: this is my first tonneau cover so I have limited experience.

Mark

/ Tonneau cover experiences and recommendations #6  
If you leave your truck out in the ice and snow, Id avoid the "Jackrabbit" style roll ups. Vertical facing lock and side rails always froze on mine. Actually Id probably avoid all rigid roll up styles and go with something like a bakflip or other trifold style for the weather around here. Honestly though I probably would never spend the grand on a tonneau ever again. I use my bed all the time and the tonneau eats up valuable bed space, plus its a major annoyance in winter. For anything that I feel might walk off, I keep a chain and padlock in the truck and use when needed.

/ Tonneau cover experiences and recommendations #7  
I have the Truxedo LoPro. I wanted to keep the stake pockets open so went with the one that fastens on the inside of bed rail. Middle daughter wanted stake pockets covered so hers goes on top of bed rail. Got them both off ebay for less than local dealer. No problems at all.

/ Tonneau cover experiences and recommendations #8  
I use the Diamondback cover and removed the shocks / limiters from the front panel. This allows me to open that one front panel a full 180 and lay it flat on the deck. I can simply push that panel a few inches over to remove it from the hinges if I want. The rear panel has the shocks / limiters installed so it works as normal. I can remove the entire thing in mere minutes and install it again in just about that same amount of time. Another benefit I have is the amount of heat that is reflected by this cover that is very noticeable on the contents within the bed of the truck...significant. Worth a look -

/ Tonneau cover experiences and recommendations #9  
I have always had a soft roll up. To me anything else just ends up getting in the way at some point.

Chris

/ Tonneau cover experiences and recommendations #10  
This time around I went with the Truxedo Deuce, it is a roll-up that has a folding front section allowing quick access to the front of the bed.

TruXedo Deuce 2 Tonneau Cover - Shop RealTruck.com

As far as security, it is that old saying, locks simply keep honest folks honest.