Grease on electric trailer brake magnets

/ Grease on electric trailer brake magnets
Thank for the advice. The bearings and hubs are still in good shape so I won't replace them. I assume the bearings can just be packed by hand and the zerk can just be unused.

/ Grease on electric trailer brake magnets #12  
2 things: One is why was there grease in there, second is how to get it out.

New linings are needed, you will never, ever get the grease out of the old lining, lord knows Ive tried. Brake cleaner on the magnet, get it out of the little holes. But... You can get a complete backer plate assembly with shoes, magnet, and all hardware for for near the cost of just shoes... Thats how I go. Soak the inside of the drum with gas, a few changes are needed as the grease getr in the bolt holes. It may take a little time. New grease: I use mystic 3 hi temp as TS carries it and it is listed in my dexter axle manual.

Why was it there? Could be the owner never changed seals, used a low temp grease meant for bushings, or mixed greases. If the axle nut could not be spun off by hand it was too tight and overheated the bearings, melting the grease. Seals wont contain that. Also if it went without grease it may have overheated. Rust on the seal area, or the owner pulled the hub and re used a damaged seal. Nicks on the seal area can also cause this. Use a hand grease gun and spin the wheel while greasing once or twice a year on ez lube and it should be good. I still inspect and re pack every other year.

/ Grease on electric trailer brake magnets #13  
What most don't know is that the magnet is more than a magnet. It also has friction material, just like the shoes. Any oil or grease, and it will never work as reliably. You can't clean them to new.
Assemblies are cheap, replace it all and have good SAFE BRAKES

I am just gonna replace the entire brake assembly... And the inner hub seals.

/ Grease on electric trailer brake magnets #15  
I am just gonna replace the entire brake assembly... And the inner hub seals.

If it were mine, after installing new brakes, I'd take a ball been hammer and beat the grease zerks flat so they could never be used. EZ-Lube axles were a bad idea, IMHO.

If it were mine, after installing new brakes, I'd take a ball been hammer and beat the grease zerks flat so they could never be used. EZ-Lube axles were a bad idea, IMHO.

Ha! I won't go that far. If I like how the new seals go on I think I'll use them but in a sensible fashion. Feel free to convince me otherwise.

What most don't know is that the magnet is more than a magnet. It also has friction material, just like the shoes. Any oil or grease, and it will never work as reliably. You can't clean them to new.
Assemblies are cheap, replace it all and have good SAFE BRAKES

I had recently learned that and agree that 10-16,000 lbs is not something I want to screw arround with.

2 things: One is why was there grease in there, second is how to get it out.

New linings are needed, you will never, ever get the grease out of the old lining, lord knows Ive tried. Brake cleaner on the magnet, get it out of the little holes. But... You can get a complete backer plate assembly with shoes, magnet, and all hardware for for near the cost of just shoes... Thats how I go. Soak the inside of the drum with gas, a few changes are needed as the grease getr in the bolt holes. It may take a little time. New grease: I use mystic 3 hi temp as TS carries it and it is listed in my dexter axle manual.

Why was it there? Could be the owner never changed seals, used a low temp grease meant for bushings, or mixed greases. If the axle nut could not be spun off by hand it was too tight and overheated the bearings, melting the grease. Seals wont contain that. Also if it went without grease it may have overheated. Rust on the seal area, or the owner pulled the hub and re used a damaged seal. Nicks on the seal area can also cause this. Use a hand grease gun and spin the wheel while greasing once or twice a year on ez lube and it should be good. I still inspect and re pack every other year.

Thanks for the grease recommendation. And I will replace the inner seals as you suggest.

/ Grease on electric trailer brake magnets #19  
Ha! I won't go that far. If I like how the new seals go on I think I'll use them but in a sensible fashion. Feel free to convince me otherwise.

I would think that your experience would be all the convincing you'd need! :laughing:
I know a few that have them on boat trailers and they like them, but they get a little shot of grease often. From my limited experience with them, it seems like the grease hardens in the relief hole and that's how the seals get pushed out. I would much rather pack mine as needed and be able to see how the components are faring.

/ Grease on electric trailer brake magnets #20  

In my case, at work, the guys using the trailers are used to greasing dozer tracks, and other equipment, so they just pump them full every time they remember. In your case, for a single user, who knows the last time they got greased was 6 months ago, they might work better... but a well greased bearing is likely to outlast the need to disassemble the hub for brake maintenance, and give you the chance to grease them then.

The biggest thing here is simply awareness of the issues.