Any reason to NOT get the wider trailer?

/ Any reason to NOT get the wider trailer? #1  

Schneeky

Silver Member
Hey guys. I'm pullin the trigger on a new 10k/8k payload trailer to move the l'il Mahindra and implements this coming week. Lookin at the one linked which is a "drive over" fender setup or another that has "regular" fenders. Question is are there are any negatives to going with a 8.5' wide vs 7'? Gonna prolly be doing this Monday or Tuesday. Got hunt club workdays this weekend. Thanks!! d:^) :cool:

Trailer on CL

/ Any reason to NOT get the wider trailer? #2  
The only thing going is more $$$83 wide is good enough for my tractor

/ Any reason to NOT get the wider trailer? #3  
I don't think that has the payload you said you wanted?

/ Any reason to NOT get the wider trailer? #4  
If I had to do over I would get the wider deck over tires. Just so that I could load other things from the side over the wheels. I actually uses the trailer more now for hauling pallets of block, shingles and the like. Wheels get in the way.:2cents: It is a nice looking trailer

/ Any reason to NOT get the wider trailer? #5  
Double check to make sure it has brakes on both axles. The ad is misleading, says a pair of brakes on 5200 lb axle.
The wider trailer can hold larger implements or 2 pallets side by side easier than a narrow trailer. Drive over fenders are stronger than regular and don't dent up as easy. 20' bed length is nice to have. Is 7800 lb payload enough? Is your Mahindra and implements you may carry under that amount?

Last edited:
   / Any reason to NOT get the wider trailer?
The payload is listed as 7800#'s which is gracious plenty for my needs I think. I just rounded up to 8k#'s. The 3016 with FEL and BH is only 4510#'s. I wanted plenty of buffer and some overhead for throwin extra crap on with the tractor.
I think I had asked the guy about brakes on both axles and he had said it did have that. I'll be sure to double check before I make the 3 hour jog up there, tho'.
I've seen references to "never adjust" type brakes. Are there any brake types or trailer mfg's to just avoid completely?
I'd checked with a local dealer who carried Hudson. But they were $1k over the other offerings. Wasn't sure if there was a good reason or just a name thing goin on there.
Thanks for the responses, fellas.. d:^) :cool:

/ Any reason to NOT get the wider trailer? #7  
That is a good deal. I would take this wide low boy any day of the week vs a deck over. I had one and never really liked it.

Only issue I see with that trailer is the tongue jack placement. It's will hit most tailgates. I always order my customers trailers with it set back 18"

Chris

/ Any reason to NOT get the wider trailer?
Only if you have to back it into an 8' wide spot.
Thankya, newbury.. Thankyavery much. <~~~Done in my best Elvis voice. :D

Diamondpilot- One of my concerns with it is the ground clearance. This trailer will be spending some time at the hunt club on the two-tracks. It ain't really "off-road", but there is some up-n-down. Not sure if the "lowness" will cause some azz draggin'. :(
And the roads gettin there ain't exactly overly wide, either. :rolleyes: But I only have 10 or so miles of those.
Although they are regularly terrorized by chicken & logging trucks. :eek: d:^) Jake..

/ Any reason to NOT get the wider trailer? #10  
<snip>
And the roads gettin there ain't exactly overly wide, either. :rolleyes: But I only have 10 or so miles of those.
Although they are regularly terrorized by chicken & logging trucks. :eek: d:^) Jake..
That's what I was getting at - if the extra 1.5 feet of width was restrictive a narrower trailer might be needed.

And is a chicken truck anything like a chicken tractor? :)