Vehicle Dealership Oil Changes and Recalls

/ Vehicle Dealership Oil Changes and Recalls #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
I always have done all my own servicing of the family fleet when not included in the purchase price.

Being a little laid up right now I decided to take advantage of the service coupons from the Toyota and BMW Dealers, both the selling dealers and other nearby Dealers.

Would you believe needing to schedule an oil change of a Toyota Corolla 10 days in advance and similar for BMW?

All suggested I could leave the car for a few days which presents it's own problems and also suggested rental cars.

Back when I bought the BMW new the Dealer offered Express Lube service where you never waited more than 59 minutes or your next change was free... dealers contacted discontinued express oil/lube.

Why advertise when you can't deliver... are there actually people renting a car when having an oil change?

Both cars are subject to airbag recalls... the Dealers have no airbags and don't know when they will... suggest calling back???

A friend had this with her Honda and Honda provided a free loaner and it has been 5 weeks now and it was great for their family vacation having a new loaner Honda.

/ Vehicle Dealership Oil Changes and Recalls #2  
I will no longer take my Honda to the dealer! Long story short the text working on the car put a little slit on the back tire valve never had a tire in the back losing air till I took it in!.

/ Vehicle Dealership Oil Changes and Recalls #3  
Generally do my own servicing. It probably isn't as thorough as the garage but I can be done in 20 minutes.

For my new Chevy I have oil changes and the bazzillion point inspection every 6 months free. I call to make an appointment and the next day or so bring it in. They are usually done before I eat all their doughnuts. Half hour at the most.

/ Vehicle Dealership Oil Changes and Recalls #4  
I've never had that problem when getting my Fords serviced at the Ford dealer. I just show up whenever it's convenient for me and they usually get it done within a hour or so. I recently made an online appointment for an oil change and the service writer told me that while those are accepted, it's still just first come, first served, so really no need to make an appointment.:laughing:

/ Vehicle Dealership Oil Changes and Recalls
I did ask if it was first come first served at Toyota and was told no... appointment only.

With all the big players emphasizing customer service I'm just not seeing it.

/ Vehicle Dealership Oil Changes and Recalls #6  
A major factor in my decision to buy my latest truck is that the dealer gives free oil changes for life. I estimated this to be worth about $2000 for me.

And they made it convenient for me also. The dealership is about 40 miles from me, so that's an hour drive each way. However, they have a used car outlet about 6 miles from me, and I just go there to pick up the oil and filter, then drive to a local 'fast lube' shop and get it changed quickly. I had the first change on my newest truck a few days ago at 13,000 miles. I was at the lube shop for about an hour. I also had them change the fuel filter while I was there.

With my old truck, I would have the lube shop rotate my tires every other oil change too, but this truck is a dually and they can't handle a rotation on a dually.

Anyway, it sure is convenient and works well for me. I can't believe that any dealer would make you wait 10 days for an oil change.

/ Vehicle Dealership Oil Changes and Recalls #7  
I usually do all my own service too. On my 2 current vehicles the first 2 oil changes are free. They've called me a couple times to schedule but I don't have enough miles on them yet. I told them I'd call to make the appt. when the time is right. I'm semi retired so don't put a lot of miles on like I used to. When its time I'll bring it in and sit in the waiting room, drink their free coffee and talk with the salesman. Should only take about an hour.

/ Vehicle Dealership Oil Changes and Recalls #8  
I've been doing my own oil changes on my personal vehicles since I was 15. There has only been a handful of times when I had a shop do it. (I.e.: lease vehicle) I do have a company car that does get taken in. I have come across issues way too many times. 1) missed grease zerks 2) over / under fill 3) oil filter not tightened 4) stripped drain plug 5) spilled oil on exhaust manifold 6) tires rotated then not properly torqued resulting in pulsating brake pedal 3 days later 7) two days after service having no windshield solvent. I can complete the service myself in half the time it takes to schedule or drive to the quick change and wait.

/ Vehicle Dealership Oil Changes and Recalls
Same here without being laid up...

For me it was about being efficient and saving time knowing it was done right...

Find it amazing oil service needs to be scheduled through a service adviser days in advance... even more so that a person would drop off their car and pay for a rental.

/ Vehicle Dealership Oil Changes and Recalls #10  
I always have done all my own servicing of the family fleet when not included in the purchase price.

Being a little laid up right now I decided to take advantage of the service coupons from the Toyota and BMW Dealers, both the selling dealers and other nearby Dealers.

Would you believe needing to schedule an oil change of a Toyota Corolla 10 days in advance and similar for BMW?

All suggested I could leave the car for a few days which presents it's own problems and also suggested rental cars.

Back when I bought the BMW new the Dealer offered Express Lube service where you never waited more than 59 minutes or your next change was free... dealers contacted discontinued express oil/lube.

Why advertise when you can't deliver... are there actually people renting a car when having an oil change?

Both cars are subject to airbag recalls... the Dealers have no airbags and don't know when they will... suggest calling back???

A friend had this with her Honda and Honda provided a free loaner and it has been 5 weeks now and it was great for their family vacation having a new loaner Honda.

My current dealer (Dodge) opens the oil change door at 7:30am, and closes it at 5:00pm or 8:00pm, depending on the day.. All you have to do is pull in, tell them you want an oil change, tire rotation, alignment, trans service, etc and sit in the waiting room drinking coffee/tea/hot chocolate, have a cookie, watch Direct TV, and wait... Northwest Indiana Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep dealer: irresistible savings

You guys with problems getting a simple oil change really, really need to change dealers. Seriously.