A ubiquitous 'which trailer for me' thread: tilt deck over.

/ A ubiquitous 'which trailer for me' thread: tilt deck over. #11  
I'm not a fan of ones that pull a axle off. I have seen a couple with bent rear axles from overloading during driving stuff on and off.

Chris

/ A ubiquitous 'which trailer for me' thread: tilt deck over. #12  
Couple of questions here. I am thinking about a tilt deck in the future. Without actually looking, some models do seem long from the axles to the back. What are the merits or negatives of a full tilt versus a four foot fixed deck? Some are hydraulic tilt while some are shock dampened. Which one do current owners like, not like?

Years ago, I used to load equipment on a tilt deck tag along with no damping, no hydraulics, just a hinge pin. We woulod look for that sweet spot. Sometimes the landing was rough, sometimes not, lol!

/ A ubiquitous 'which trailer for me' thread: tilt deck over.
The 20' includes fork and a flail mower. The 16' unit was just adequate. I didn't drive more than about 15 miles to the closest dealer with it. It's time to upgrade. I could balance it well enough, but just.

So, further research shows that there are ~15k rated trailers with a non-tilt front area, and a tilt area (gives just a bit more gcwr over the 14k units). That seems like the smart way to be able to load an extra implement, or even my small skid steer (2000#). Then load the big tractor. The full length tilt deck is not the way to go.

Current trailer is the full 102" at the fenders, thinking that is the way to go with the deck over. Tractor implements are up to 8', so they would have a little extra for tie downs, etc. Width is no concern.

Maneuverability is, in terms of the goose neck. I have adequate space for moving the 16' bumper pull around the shop area. A longer trailer could be a problem. And my wife would likely appreciate the GN when buying hay (we usually buy 3x3 to 4x4 bales). The deck over is as much her needs as it is mine -- flat wide deck that can be loaded and unloaded easily. I am a fan of the tile because there are no ramps needed, nor none that need to be flipped or pulled out.

I put feelers out to as many are wide dealers as I could find. We shall see what they have to say == and what reality says I am going to spend!

/ A ubiquitous 'which trailer for me' thread: tilt deck over. #14  
Couple of questions here. I am thinking about a tilt deck in the future. Without actually looking, some models do seem long from the axles to the back. What are the merits or negatives of a full tilt versus a four foot fixed deck? Some are hydraulic tilt while some are shock dampened. Which one do current owners like, not like?

Years ago, I used to load equipment on a tilt deck tag along with no damping, no hydraulics, just a hinge pin. We woulod look for that sweet spot. Sometimes the landing was rough, sometimes not, lol!
Mine has nothing but a pivot & latch, suits me just fine. A hydraulic dampened would be nice, but not necessary from my experience, more cost & more to fail. If it needs hydraulics to tilt it probably isn't balanced well. I can see the need on a fully tilting deck that is longer in front than the back. A fixed front deck will be cheaper, possibly lighter & definitely less complex.

I'd love a 4-8' deck in front of the tilting deck on my 16'. The deck would give good extra tongue weight a pure tilting deck. My long tongue serves as a front deck for only my loader. Really wish I could put implements up there & that I had more room to balance properly and/or put implements.

As I already said, avoid any lips on the edges. they stop you from loading & unloading stuff easily.

If in doubt go for a pair of 7k axles for more capacity over 5k axles. Avoid 3.5k axles, they are to light for a tractor when you figure in the 2kish weight of the trailer itself.

/ A ubiquitous 'which trailer for me' thread: tilt deck over. #15  

See my post #6 pics. I have the PJ 22' TF full tilt model. Axle placement is back far enough for good tongue weight. Whether you go full tilt or have a 4' fixed section depends on what you want to use, load, and haul with the trailer. I have plenty of room in front of the first axle for side loading pallets or implements. I like the full tilt. Mine is power up and power down. Nothing wrong with saving a few bucks if a shock dampened tilt bed will work. I'm just not a fan of shock dampened trailers. My previous trailer was power up and gravity down. That was a hassle at times when I wanted the bed to tilt down but the load wasn't far enough forward to do. I prefer the low deck height rather than a deck over tilt bed. A deck over has its uses but I have never had the need to transport anything wider than 82". My deck is 22" high.

/ A ubiquitous 'which trailer for me' thread: tilt deck over. #16  
Good feedback on this thread. FWIW, I would not buy another gooseneck without tandem duals. To much empty weight with the single wheel limitation. That and I can use my box truck with a BP. I don't have any big equipment to deal with anymore and am trying to be gentle on the weak knees so the lower deck would be best for me as well. With many makes close by, I will have to take a closer look at the different deck configurations.

In spite of the bad reviews on Gatormade that have been made in the past, I am kind of intrigued by their Aardvark model. But then I have the advantage of being less than an hour from their plant so I can look one over before I commit.

That Aardvark has a strange looking tongue. Guess you will never drag that area of the trailer. Not sure that should be an issue anyhow.

These are good representations of what I am interested in. Brands (specs, attachment style) aside, they show the direction I am headed.

http://econolinetrailers.com/7-ton-gooseneck-deckover-partial-tilt-bg0725te/
Sure Trac |
Deckover - Split Tilt (6, 7, & 8 Ton Models)
PJ Trailers | HD Deckover Tilt

At least until my Chief Financial Officer gets involved (she is driving the need, so the limits will be reasonable).
New or used are fine by me.

/ A ubiquitous 'which trailer for me' thread: tilt deck over. #18  
In a thread I posted recently, I went through the exact same struggles. The biggest downside with the deckover tilts is the added weight.
Like the OP I was determined to stay out of the CDL hassle and the trade off on the deckover tilts was reduced capacity. Since my machine is pretty heavy to start I decided I just couldn't give up the capacity and opted for the low profile tilt.

I've had it for a little bit and overall I'm happy with it. But of course the first job I needed a trailer for (moving a shed) required a deckover:banghead:.
So I started to second guess my choice. I can see down the road I'll sell this one and get a GN deckover in the 30' range, should be the last trailer purchase I'll need for a long time.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...8-help-me-decide-deckover-low.html?highlight=

Matt

Thanks. Will be following up with local dealers. Found a used PJ within a reasonable distance -- have not yet pulled the trigger.

Been researching gooseneck hitches.
Like these two:
Cody Hitch
Gooseneck Trailer Hitch by Una-Goose

Neither require more than the main Round in hole in the bed (so nothing else to stick up and tear into a sheet good).
Also, NO rod under the fender. Simple. The Una-goose is ~$580 delivered, the Cody hitch (and no drill kit) were not listed.

In researching gooseneck heights, I see options for a tailer hitch/gooseneck frame.
In general, does a 3/4-1 ton 4wd pick up need a higher gooseneck hitch?