Securing trailer balls

/ Securing trailer balls #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
How do you guys secure trailer balls? I have had them come loose in the past and it is always a fear of mine so I always put a a small tack weld between the nut and threads after I torque it down. I don't get it hot enough to affect the temper of the ball just enough weld to prevent it from unthreading. Was talking to a buddy and he said he tacks the base of the ball to the mount so he can tighten the nut without it rotating then tacks the nut to the bottom of the mount without using a lock washer. Just curious what others are doing.

/ Securing trailer balls #2  
I grease all such bolts and then just use a Big Azz wrench or breaker bar. Never had an issue. I guess a lock washer is a given.

/ Securing trailer balls #3  
This is what I do:get the nut tight under the lock washer then I use a cheater bar and tighten to I can't pull anymore.

/ Securing trailer balls #4  
Big Azz 3/4" breaker bar and pipe. A good lock washer stops the ball turning while you torque.

/ Securing trailer balls
On a receiver hitch it is pretty easy to get them plenty tight and monitor them. This is on a gooseneck ball with a 1-3/8" shank. I think it supposed to be torqued to 650 ft lb. Going to be hard to get it that right under the truck. I have a big impact that will tighten it that much but don't think it will clear the differential.

/ Securing trailer balls #6  
Never thought of a gooseneck, have one on my truck but's a turnover style so no bolting down...

/ Securing trailer balls #7  
I had this problem last week. I traveled 60 miles round trip to pick up a box blade. My ball came loose as I was pulling into my driveway. So this was my solution.

Attachments

• IMG_20160903_131140188_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160903_131140188_HDR.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 591
   / Securing trailer balls #8  
I had this problem last week. I traveled 60 miles round trip to pick up a box blade. My ball came loose as I was pulling into my driveway. So this was my solution.

I do something similar. I drill through the nut and shank one secured then put in a cotter pin.

Chris

/ Securing trailer balls #9  
For a regular square receiver, it helps to temporarily turn the ball mount 90 degrees so you can throw your weight onto the wrench when you tighten it.

/ Securing trailer balls #10  
If your ball is coming loose check your coupler to make sure it's not adjusted to tight or is binding. If it is too tight when you turn you may have "A Big AZZ" breaker bar about as long as you trailer is. Imagine the torque of a twenty foot trailer twisting on your trailer ball if it binds. Had it happen once, now grease my ball and make sure the coupler is not super tight when coupled.