Axle position

/ Axle position #1  

dvan1966

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B6200DT
I bought this tilt trailer cheap, has 3500lb axle, going to paint put in a floor and new tires.
The axle is 3 1/2" to the front of the center of the trailer bed. Normally the axle is to the rear. Being a tilt trailer is this why the axle is more forward?
Has little tongue weight. I only pulled about 15 miles to home. And pulled ok. Just worried about it towing without swaying.

IMG_0035.JPG

/ Axle position #2  
I have a small single axle tilt trailer. The axle is about 60% of the bed length back, just like most non-tilt trailers. Other commercial ones I've seen are the same.

I've seen several home-builts like yours. The builders wanted them to tilt easily, or on their own, and stay down while loading.

Bruce

/ Axle position #3  
Just worried about it towing without swaying.

Depends on what you are hauling. If there is too much weight behind the axle it will sway.

/ Axle position
Thanks for the replies. According to the calculations online on axle placement, it should be moved back approximately 4 1/2 inches. I don't know if it's worth going to the hassle of doing that I guess I will just be careful when I load the trailer or just add weight to the tongue

/ Axle position #5  
Could you mount a spare tire on the tongue or a tool box?

Loading problems should be minimized since you know to load heavy in front.

/ Axle position
Could you mount a spare tire on the tongue or a tool box?

Loading problems should be minimized since you know to load heavy in front.
I'll just mount a spare tire upfront. I'm not going be traveling long distances, if I do my four wheeler will be in it and it will be up towards the front anyways

/ Axle position #7  
I bought this tilt trailer cheap, has 3500lb axle, going to paint put in a floor and new tires.
The axle is 3 1/2" to the front of the center of the trailer bed. Normally the axle is to the rear. Being a tilt trailer is this why the axle is more forward?
Has little tongue weight. I only pulled about 15 miles to home. And pulled ok. Just worried about it towing without swaying.

View attachment 481251
It's place there to allow the tilt angle to be such that something can actually be loaded.

If it were mine is would move it back and fix the trailer to a non-tilt trailer.

Chris

/ Axle position
It's place there to allow the tilt angle to be such that something can actually be loaded.

If it were mine is would move it back and fix the trailer to a non-tilt trailer.

Chris
That's what I've decided to do.

/ Axle position #9  
That's what I've decided to do.
Smart move. Easy to do now in the condition it's in.

If I may ask, what did you pay for it and what do you expect to put into it?

Reason I'm asking is I will buying a 5x10 this week. I can get a new one with 3 way gate, 3500# axle, LED lights for $944.10 to my door.

I looked forever for a used one but I was only finding beat up ones or ones needing new boards, tires, paint, ect for the $700 price range

Chris

/ Axle position
I paid 150. Going to put new wood, tires and rims. Maybe putting 400-450 in it.