New trailer brakes, lock up easy

/ New trailer brakes, lock up easy #1  

07ketnec

Tractor
John Deere X300
I have a tandem 10,000# Suretrac trailer and just did brakes on the front axle.
I bought the whole self-adjusting assembly from etrailer and bolted it on. Everything fit well and looked good. When I drove it on the road the front axle tires would lock up with the slightest press of the pedal.

So I adjusted the controller way down and then adjusted the pads to the minimum on the drums, but it doesn't seem like they are 'braking enough'
I expected more friction on the brakes, but not so much to lock up the wheels with half power on the brake controller.

Any suggestions?

/ New trailer brakes, lock up easy #2  
I don't think you wanted to adjust the drums themselves, only the break controler. I don't know how self adjustmenting breaks work but on regular manual adjustment breaks you want the shoes very close to the drums.

/ New trailer brakes, lock up easy #3  
What kind of brake controller do you have?

The one I have has (3) different settings 6.1, 6.2 and 6.3, and then has a rotary wheel for additional fine tuning.

An unloaded trailer will not be the same setting as a fully loaded trailer.

/ New trailer brakes, lock up easy #4  
Its best when doing trailer brakes to replace them on both front and rear axles so you have even braking between F&R axles. Since you only did the front axle and have backed off on the shoes they will eventually self adjust back to the original setting causing them to lock up again. I'd suggest buying another set and doing the back axle as well.
Did you try lowering the controller setting before you adjusted the shoes.

/ New trailer brakes, lock up easy
It's just a basic CURT brake controller. Maybe I'm not adjusting it right, there's 2 slide switches to adjust.

The brake assembly are pretty much adjusted back to the position when I bought them.

/ New trailer brakes, lock up easy #6  
It's just a basic CURT brake controller. Maybe I'm not adjusting it right, there's 2 slide switches to adjust.

The brake assembly are pretty much adjusted back to the position when I bought them.

Is it this one?

51110_1024x768_a.jpg

If so, here is the manual.
https://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrary/51110/installsheet/CME_51110_INS.PDF

/ New trailer brakes, lock up easy #7  
Its best when doing trailer brakes to replace them on both front and rear axles so you have even braking between F&R axles. Since you only did the front axle and have backed off on the shoes they will eventually self adjust back to the original setting causing them to lock up again. I'd suggest buying another set and doing the back axle as well.
Did you try lowering the controller setting before you adjusted the shoes.
Spot On!

/ New trailer brakes, lock up easy #8  
Are you sure that the assemblies were installed on the correct side. They are designed right and left. If installed on the wrong side the large shoe will be toward the front resulting in brake lockup.