E-rated truck tires ??

/ E-rated truck tires ?? #11  
How much of that maximum "E" rating will you possibly use? If you want the best ride possible--and the most variety to choose from--shop to your use pattern, or take some pressure off the tires. When my dually needs it, I'm going to keep options open. Supposedly my max load could be pulled by the modern 1/2 ton offerings without issue, so ... I'm going to get fenced in buying for 200% the rating I'll ever require. If you haul heavy regularly or for a living--then get the manufacturer's recommendation... if not, figure out your loads and expand your options. I use tire rack dot com to explore, and have found it usually is about the best deal. I like to see the user ratings, miles driven, and effectiveness to applications.

/ E-rated truck tires ??
I just took off a set of Michelin LTX AT2 tires that came stock on my 2015 2500. They are ok for city / highway use, but lousy for rural gravel road use and off road. Totally worthless for snow. I put on BFG All Terrain TA KO2's (Michelin owned). A good all around tire that is not noisy. I used BFG AT the entire time I lived in Alaska and they never let me down... highway, gravel, off road, bad weather. Been with them ever since.

OEM recommended pressure is 60F 70R, but a closer look, that is recommended with max gross. They give no other recommendation when running empty or lightly loaded and cannot get any loading chart from tire manufacturers or GM. I extrapolated general loading PSI information from my commercial truck tires and when the pickup is empty or light, I typically run about 50-55 PSI all around in the tires. Airing up when I know I will be loading up. By running the lower pressures, ride is much improved and tire wear very good. I noticed a slight up tick in mpg also and I attribute that to less wheel hop on bumpy roads and traction control stabilization by running the lower pressures.
I have a set of the Michelin LTX/AT2 tires on my 2006 Ford F150 and they get around great in the Michigan winters.The reason I am looking at purchasing the Michelin defenders since they no longer make the AT2 series tires.

/ E-rated truck tires ?? #13  
Personally, I won't have HD Michelins on a pu of mine... I use to buy them, and they were fine on road, BUT, if the side wall takes a hit on one of them, they WILL blow out in that spot. I had 3 of them do it.

Hit a curb, have a rock hit the side wall when in mud and that's just asking to loose that tire.

I had problems with BFG's not being round, I kinda stay away from them too.

So far, the best HD pu tires I've bought have been Good Years. I've bought three set's of E rated GY's and have not got a bad tire yet.

SR

/ E-rated truck tires ?? #14  
Our Michelin LTX on a van lasted 75,000 mi rear and 95,000 front. We replaced them with D load rated Michelin AT2 because the LTX is very poor in snow. We don't drive it that much in snow but at least want to move it in the parking lot! They aren't much louder on a highway.

/ E-rated truck tires ?? #15  
I just put Nitto Terra Grapplers on my F250 in 285/70/17, load range E. I am very happy so far. I have been in loose sand and some mud and they did fine. Looking forward to the snow.

Evidently, Nitto has a unique manufacturing process and their tires are made very well. They required little weight and are smooth as glass. I am very picky about the balance and have had issues before with BFG and Goodyear.

I run 65 psi front and 60 in the back when unloaded and it rides well for a heavy duty truck. Pulling the boat or loading the bed I will up the rear to 70 psi. I'd have to be close to max load to bump them up to 80.

/ E-rated truck tires ?? #16  
Personally, I won't have HD Michelins on a pu of mine... I use to buy them, and they were fine on road, BUT, if the side wall takes a hit on one of them, they WILL blow out in that spot. I had 3 of them do it. Hit a curb, have a rock hit the side wall when in mud and that's just asking to loose that tire. I had problems with BFG's not being round, I kinda stay away from them too. So far, the best HD pu tires I've bought have been Good Years. I've bought three set's of E rated GY's and have not got a bad tire yet. SR

I have had the same issue with all the Michelins I have owned. That quite soft ride comes at a price!

Chris

/ E-rated truck tires ?? #17  
I have had the same issue with all the Michelins I have owned. That quite soft ride comes at a price!
Chris
I have a friend who put a set on his wifes car, the two on the passenger side blew out, after she hit a curb on that side.

NO she shouldn't have hit the curb, but chit happens!

Mich. would not war. any of the ones that blew out for me, they said it was my fault for "hitting something"...

SR

/ E-rated truck tires ??
Personally, I won't have HD Michelins on a pu of mine... I use to buy them, and they were fine on road, BUT, if the side wall takes a hit on one of them, they WILL blow out in that spot. I had 3 of them do it.

Hit a curb, have a rock hit the side wall when in mud and that's just asking to loose that tire.

I had problems with BFG's not being round, I kinda stay away from them too.

So far, the best HD pu tires I've bought have been Good Years. I've bought three set's of E rated GY's and have not got a bad tire yet.

SR
Glad to hear the goodyears worked out for you.I have had GREAT luck in the past with the Michelins..

/ E-rated truck tires ?? #19  
I use the Michelin E-rated highway tires on the last 3 pickups (F350 and 2 F150s). They have been fine. On the F150 I carry 50lbs unloaded front and rear, then pump up from there depending on load. Wear has been in the 60-70k mile range street and highway use. No bad road miles to speak of.

/ E-rated truck tires ?? #20  
I have a buddy that says if you have Michelins, you will never get a warranty claim out of them. He says its always your fault, not theirs. I have had a couple of sets of Coopers, both car tires and truck tires. I always thought they balances out crappy, they took a lot of weights and just always felt a little out of round.