E-rated truck tires ??

/ E-rated truck tires ?? #1  

coobie

Tractor
Kubota RTV 1100c, JD 740,Kioti DK 40 with KL401 loader .
I purchased a 2016 Ram 2500 crew cab that came with 18 inch Firestone transforce tires & after 6,000 miles I can tell you they are not my favorite tire.The firestones are crappy in wet weather to say the least.I am going to replace them ASAP looking to purchase the Michelin Defender LTX/MS 18 inch tires.Anyone running this tire on you HD truck?If so how do you like them?Any other suggestions on 18 inch E-rated tire brands?Thanks.

Last edited:
   / E-rated truck tires ?? #2  
You might like them a little better if you back off the pressure unless you are running heavy most of the time.
"E" rated tires is a rough ride at rated psi empty. Sorry Coobie, no recommendation's other than that or swapping to a "D" l/r.

/ E-rated truck tires ?? #3  
On my dually pulling 8 or 10 k loaded gooseneck locally I usually keep my E rated tires a bit under inflated. I know I know, Sidewall flexing and blowouts can be a issue. Front tires usually at 70 / 80 psi. Rear dual tires at 60 /80. I keep a eye on em and watch for hi temps on them. Problem I have is wearing the tread out on the center of the tire treads. $250 each for tires they need to last a few miles. When running heavier at 15 k range and hot summer temperatures at interstate speeds they are aired up to max. Sure it takes a few minutes to adjust for the heavier loads but blow outs or worn out tires are hard on the wallet. I run from brush pastures to gravel roads to fist sized rock site locations and interstate. Often all on the same day. The load range E tires is well worth the stiffer ride. Cheap tires used hard does not save money. Dangerous also at times.

/ E-rated truck tires ?? #4  
I have the Defenders on my 2016 F350 SRW. I've had them on previous trucks and for me, they last forever. I got 70K out of one set before. Quiet, smooth ride, good fuel economy and good in rain. But...they're not good off the road. So if you're in and out of a field, they will spin easily. Some people don't like them because if that. I like them though because they're the best fuel mileage tire I've had and I use around 3500 gallons of diesel a year, so it really adds up.

In the winter I switch to Goodyear Duratracs. Terrible fuel mileage but I drive in northern states and I don't like getting stuck.

/ E-rated truck tires ?? #5  
I run Goodyear DuraTrac. Tried them all and these are the best overall tire for the way we use our trucks.

/ E-rated truck tires ?? #6  
I run Goodyear DuraTrac. Tried them all and these are the best overall tire for the way we use our trucks.

Those are good.

Also take a look at Toyo H/T or A/T tires. I've had really good luck with the A/Ts.

/ E-rated truck tires ?? #7  
Ive had good luck with General Grabber AT2's, been on the wife's excursion for 5 years now, about half worn out the second set at this point. Dont recall the mileage. Wearing well, but our driving conditions are hard on tires. (Hills, twisty roads, rough surface most of the time, few smooth highway miles)

Reasonable price too, good AT tread, but smooth and quiet, i guess... Cant hear them over the 7.3 diesel motor!

/ E-rated truck tires ??
Thanks for the replies.Leaning towards the Michelins at this time but going to make my final choice this weekend when I go to the local discount tire store.I like to see what the tire tread pattern looks like in person verses internet pictures.

Last edited:
   / E-rated truck tires ?? #9  
I just took off a set of Michelin LTX AT2 tires that came stock on my 2015 2500. They are ok for city / highway use, but lousy for rural gravel road use and off road. Totally worthless for snow. I put on BFG All Terrain TA KO2's (Michelin owned). A good all around tire that is not noisy. I used BFG AT the entire time I lived in Alaska and they never let me down... highway, gravel, off road, bad weather. Been with them ever since.

OEM recommended pressure is 60F 70R, but a closer look, that is recommended with max gross. They give no other recommendation when running empty or lightly loaded and cannot get any loading chart from tire manufacturers or GM. I extrapolated general loading PSI information from my commercial truck tires and when the pickup is empty or light, I typically run about 50-55 PSI all around in the tires. Airing up when I know I will be loading up. By running the lower pressures, ride is much improved and tire wear very good. I noticed a slight up tick in mpg also and I attribute that to less wheel hop on bumpy roads and traction control stabilization by running the lower pressures.

/ E-rated truck tires ?? #10  
I agree that running Tire psi appropriate for the situation is better than max psi all the time.

However... I personally do not care for BFG tires, they do not seem to wear well on the trucks at work. We have 8 to 10 crewcab long bed 4x4 SRW trucks, loaded with fuel cells and tools, seeing both on- and off-road use... lucky to get 20k miles, most are about 15k. As shop mechanic, I'm the one doing the rotations and documenting the installation and milage.

However, a lighter F150 regular cab, no tools or cargo (supervisor truck) has gotten great mileage on the same Tire.

Not bashing, to each their own... just sharing observations.