Towing Questions

/ Towing Questions
FWIW, I hope yall realize I want to get there as quickly as I safely can. Hence the trailering question. The manual says it has a max speed of 16 mph. The only times I've gone any distance on the road, I've either had the mower or a Firminator hitched up. The highest I've seen the speed register is 13. Normally, it runs about 11 and will drop to 7 or 8 on a good grade. I'm not poking along because I want to.

/ Towing Questions #22  
What kind of road ways are they. I'm surprised your tractor is that slow. My L3240 will keep up with it if not outrun it.

/ Towing Questions
Hilly country roads, the last mile is a rutted gravel road.

/ Towing Questions #24  
For only 4 times a year I'd phone a friend. Unless you can come with a way to make two quick trips...take cutter first (come up with a way to unload without the tractor) then go back and get the tractor. That should also allow you to use your current trailer (assuming it's rated for the weight). Probably quicker just to drive the tractor...

/ Towing Questions #25  
At 8m away, I would be afraid to trailer slightly over max or at max.. baut as pointed out, it's almost a wash on time between load and unload vs drive.

/ Towing Questions #26  
A WD hitch is mandatory for this load. At 10,000# you are somewhere between 1000# and 1,300# on the ball. The factory receiver is only rated for 5000# towed and 500# on the ball.

Even with a WD hitch, you probably exceed the trucks capacity. My '13 with HD payload is limited to 1,130# on the ball with WD hitch.

/ Towing Questions #27  
A WD hitch is mandatory for this load. At 10,000# you are somewhere between 1000# and 1,300# on the ball. The factory receiver is only rated for 5000# towed and 500# on the ball.

Even with a WD hitch, you probably exceed the trucks capacity. My '13 with HD payload is limited to 1,130# on the ball with WD hitch.

that's why GN is so nice once you get over 10K trailers.

/ Towing Questions
Yes, I'm better off to just drive the tractor there. That's what I will do. It's not worth the expense to trade trucks.

/ Towing Questions #29  
Yes, I'm better off to just drive the tractor there. That's what I will do. It's not worth the expense to trade trucks.

Sounds like a smart plan. I got myself in a pickle with trailers by using manufacturer listed weights to calculate how much trailer I would need. Loaded up on a 7k trailer which would have been fine according to my calculations, but somewhere there was over 800lbs more weight than I anticipated when I actually put it on the scales.

EDIT: Here is the thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/trailers-transportation/369963-just-got-new-trailer-may.html

Last edited:
   / Towing Questions #30  
I used three high capacity scales to measure my tractor and trailer setup. I feel much more comfortable after actually weighing it all. I wanted individual weights to use for later rather than loading up and going to a weigh station.

It turns out that I am A-OK on all weights and tractor tongue weight, so my comfort level has increased. I'd recommend going to a weigh station rather than simply guessing. (And, I'd add that I know the possible outcomes of just figuring out (guessing) for yourself. It can hurt.)