Lets talk car/truck/tractor batteries ??

/ Lets talk car/truck/tractor batteries ?? #11  
First, I check to see what is available that fits the battery box of the given equipment. Second, I ensure it meets the specs for amps and such. Third and final deciding factor, which battery physically weighs the most. The heaviest battery is 99% of the time, the best battery.

/ Lets talk car/truck/tractor batteries ?? #12  
I have good luck with Rural King batteries made by Exxide. They are half the price of others. Case in point is just last week the factory battery on a 2012 with 102,000 miles took a crap. Called around and everyone was about $110 but Rural King was $59.

I do know one thing though from my 30 years of wrenching. Change your battery every 3 years and you will be money ahead. As they age it gets to be tougher on the alternator and starter. Corrosion sets in and this leads to cable and end troubles.

Think about it. Low voltage creates resistance. Resistance creates heat which is the killer of starters. Now because of the low voltage your alternator must work harder creating more heat and then resistance. It's a vicious endless cycle.

For this reason all my stuff gets a new battery every 36 months. I believe because of this is the reason I have never had to replace a starter or alternator on anything I have owned but have on tons of friends and customers stuff. Usually when I do they comment that they just had to change the battery after 5 or 6 years.

Chris

/ Lets talk car/truck/tractor batteries ??
I have good luck with Rural King batteries made by Exxide. They are half the price of others. Case in point is just last week the factory battery on a 2012 with 102,000 miles took a crap. Called around and everyone was about $110 but Rural King was $59.

I do know one thing though from my 30 years of wrenching. Change your battery every 3 years and you will be money ahead. As they age it gets to be tougher on the alternator and starter. Corrosion sets in and this leads to cable and end troubles.

Think about it. Low voltage creates resistance. Resistance creates heat which is the killer of starters. Now because of the low voltage your alternator must work harder creating more heat and then resistance. It's a vicious endless cycle.

For this reason all my stuff gets a new battery every 36 months. I believe because of this is the reason I have never had to replace a starter or alternator on anything I have owned but have on tons of friends and customers stuff. Usually when I do they comment that they just had to change the battery after 5 or 6 years.

Chris
I agree, try to change my batteries every 48 months.My equipment stays on a battery minder all of the winter months.

/ Lets talk car/truck/tractor batteries ?? #14  
I have all my vehicles - tractor, Jeep & motorcycle - on battery tenders. Keeping the batteries fully charged seems to help them last longer. I have heavy duty Odyssey batteries in both the Jeep & tractor. They will normally last 8-10 years before needing replacement. I've never had to replace a starter or alternator on any vehicle.

/ Lets talk car/truck/tractor batteries ?? #15  
Ditto on battery tenders. My old 2001.5 Dodge Cummins still has the original batteries in it, starts fine...

/ Lets talk car/truck/tractor batteries ?? #16  
Ditto on battery tenders. My old 2001.5 Dodge Cummins still has the original batteries in it, starts fine...
That's amaking. I've never had a battery make it past 4 yrs, maybe 5.

/ Lets talk car/truck/tractor batteries ?? #17  
Whenever I replace an automotive type battery it is with an Optima AGM or the Sears/Odyssey AGM.

/ Lets talk car/truck/tractor batteries ?? #18  
You realize there are like 3 battery companies that make all the batteries out there, right? And that they are all pretty much the same? Just don't buy the cheapest crap you can find as they will have spec'd them really poorly. Beyond that, extra money spent will not likely help you in any way. Talking about regular starter batteries here...

You have to be careful with these generalizations. There are a limited number of battery manufacturers. However, that doesn't mean all the batteries are the same. I once lived near an oil filter factory that made a half dozen or more different brands. However, the people who worked there said each had a unique spec for case thickness, filter material and quantity, relief valve configuration, etc. I'm not saying the batteries are not the same, but just because they come out of the same factory doesn't mean they are identical.

/ Lets talk car/truck/tractor batteries ?? #19  
Whenever I replace an automotive type battery it is with an Optima AGM or the Sears/Odyssey AGM.

The Odysseys are really nice but expensive.

/ Lets talk car/truck/tractor batteries ?? #20  
That's amaking. I've never had a battery make it past 4 yrs, maybe 5.

You've had bad luck then.

Battery in the wifes 05 ram 1500 is still the OEM original
Battery in the 05 kubota L3400 I sold dad earlier this year is still OEM original
Battery in my 01 saturn was replaced in 10/08 with the cheapest battery walmart had at the time....a 1-yr warranty one
Battery in the wifes 08 nissan sentra is also OEM original.

By your logic of replacing every 3 years...

The ram 1500 would have had a battery replaced in 08, 11, 14, and be due again next year. At $120 for that battery, I'd be $360 lighter
The 05 kubota would have followed the same schedule. ITs a bit smaller cheaper battery at $80 a pop. So I'd be $240 lighter
The saturn would have needed one in 11, and 14. $90/pop.......$180 lighter.
The wifes sentra, also would have need one in 11 and 14. Those are $95 ea. SO $190 lighter.

SO a 3-year plan would have cost me $970 over the last 10 years. And all would be due again next year for another $385 spent.

The saturn has 195k miles. The sentra has 155k, the truck has 75k and the tractor at 950hrs. And I have left the dome light on in the saturn at least 3 times and completely drained it.

None of these have ever needed an alternator or starter.

I think I'll keep doing what I am doing. And thats when I notice it starts cranking over a little slower after the vehicle has sat for a few days.....then I'll put it on the list to be changed.