got tongue weight?

/ got tongue weight? #2  
On my car, suspension limits the tongue weight. On my tractors i like 1.5 to 2 ton of drawbar weight, for traction both when pulling as well as when braking.

/ got tongue weight? #3  
I just did the measurements on my trailer and tractor including tongue weight.

With my trailer empty except for the chains and binders, it weights 2850 lbs. The tongue weight is 500 pounds in this condition.

My tractor when loaded up weighs 7850 lbs, and when on the trailer, my tongue weight is 1000 pounds before I level things out with the weight distributing hitch. After leveled out, I don't know what the tongue weight is, but I expect it should be less than 1000 lbs but over 500. I don't know what the WDH does with tongue weight, but the advertisements say that it puts more weight back on the trailer and on the front of the truck. Anyone know for sure?

/ got tongue weight? #4  
The instructions for the Sea-Doo watercraft trailers recommends 3-10% tongue weight.

/ got tongue weight? #5  
A WDH can put up to 100% of the weight on the trailer axles and the tow vehicle front axle.

olds trailer 015.JPG

But that doesn't mean there is no stress at the hitch. The forces among the ball, bars, and receiver must be very large.

Bruce

/ got tongue weight? #6  
Nice clip on why tongue weight is so important.

A WDH is a spring that distributes tongue weight to the tugs front axle & the trailer axles. They work well balancing the tug out.

That picture with the missing back tire is a good example of how one works. It's a horrible example on how to adjust it though. Frames & hitches are likely to break, not to mention missing traction on the rear axle & very poor handling.

/ got tongue weight? #8  
Nice clip on why tongue weight is so important.

A WDH is a spring that distributes tongue weight to the tugs front axle & the trailer axles. They work well balancing the tug out.

And they can create a better ride. My 2015 RAM 2500 diesel 4wd crew cab is rated to tow 17,100# on the bumper. But I use a Sway Pro WDH on the 10.4k towed load with 15% tongue weight before weight distribution and the ride is much better- less bounce, than without the WDH.

/ got tongue weight? #9  
personally I use a Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale - Sherline Products don't remember, but I think I have the 5,000lbs one. Easy enough to change... 1 square inch piston just means putting in a different size pressure gauge & pressure = weight 1 to 1. Probably more effort to use, but much more portable & adaptable to other junk.