Got a newer Ford? Dont dent it....

/ Got a newer Ford? Dont dent it.... #21  
Our Fleet mechanics were at an updater today, and it was mentioned that the new pickups will be more expensive to fix dents etc. Ford is saying if there is a crease in a panel, you cant hammer it out, just replace it,which = more $$, Aluminum wont retain its strength I guess when its creased. Not a lot of shops will have fluency on fixing aluminum I bet either..
Quarter panels are 6 months behind backordered presently as well..

Do they hammer out "creases" on steel panels?

/ Got a newer Ford? Dont dent it.... #22  
Actually Ford requires you to become certified to fix the aluminum F150's. Rumor is that the tools alone are around $25,000. The insurance companies are probably going to force you to take the truck to a certified shop to be repaired. Some companies are even refusing to write new policies on private owners with F150's (not fleet). My wife is an insurance broker representing numerous companies and has been dealing with these headaches since the new F150 was announced.

In this state an insurance company cant force me to take my vehicle anywhere!!!??? I have used a guy that works out of his house in his yard and looks like a back yard guy, they don't care one bit.

/ Got a newer Ford? Dont dent it.... #23  
They do still hammer out dents and dings but it has to be pretty minor. All those plastic parts on cars can be fixed also but more often than not they put new ones on. I've seen guys do amazing things with badly damge panels before. I had a car restored and the body guy did fantastic things with the old panels but you couldn't get replacement ones at the time either.

/ Got a newer Ford? Dont dent it.... #24  
H,mmm

Attachments

• DSCN0203.JPG
    DSCN0203.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 201
   / Got a newer Ford? Dont dent it.... #25  
A crease in an FE panel stretches the metal. Now your talking a real skilled panel guy to fix the crease and shrink the panel back. Can be done, but not worth it on something that's not 50years old or older or that theyre not making parts for anymore. That type of craftsmanship is just not all that common unless your willing to pay for it.
Looking into the Ford certified issue: Theyre "bonding" panels together i.e. gluing them. Joe bubbas backyard repair shop is going to have a tough time with bonded AL.

/ Got a newer Ford? Dont dent it.... #26  
Do they hammer out "creases" on steel panels?

Use a Stud gun and then pull the crease out and a (little shrinking tool work) and quality filler then surfacer, sealer and then base coat, clear coat panel painting to match??

for a really small shop that is what I have seen.

those bonded panels were featured on a weekend car truck show IIRC the crew took a regular F 150 and made an aftermarket Raptor out of it.

Took some time for them to get the factory bonded panels off....

/ Got a newer Ford? Dont dent it.... #27  
Same way ram and Cummins slammed ford and gm for using urea and now they use it too. It's just instant ad tools with no consequences down the road

I think the AL will be of little concern in a few years and it'll be harder to find shops that do quality work on steel vehicles

Brett

Yup, buyer beware! I remember doing repairs on aluminum in the 90's and didn't think twice about it. CJ

/ Got a newer Ford? Dont dent it.... #28  
No one repairs anything anymore. The cut out the bad and install a new panel. It's been that way for 20 years.

It's cheaper now days with the labor rates.

/ Got a newer Ford? Dont dent it.... #29  
That is the thing with GM. They knock what others are doing then a few years later do it themselves. Remember the GM commercials slamming the "man step" in brand X's tailgate? Guess what they have in their bumpers. How about the "retro" look performance cars, Guess what they have now. I can think of a few more but why? To date I have owned more new GM vehicles but the way they are advertising now makes them look like a bunch of politicians. CJ

My 2002 Avalanche had steps in the bumper well before the Ford "man step" was available.

/ Got a newer Ford? Dont dent it.... #30  
A crease in an FE panel stretches the metal. Now your talking a real skilled panel guy to fix the crease and shrink the panel back. Can be done, but not worth it on something that's not 50years old or older or that theyre not making parts for anymore. That type of craftsmanship is just not all that common unless your willing to pay for it. Looking into the Ford certified issue: Theyre "bonding" panels together i.e. gluing them. Joe bubbas backyard repair shop is going to have a tough time with bonded AL.

They have been glueing "bonding" panels for years. That's how most truck bed repairs are done they buy the bed sides cut off the offending panel glue on new one its a fairly quick process. Only difference with an AL panel would be different adhesive.