Got a newer Ford? Dont dent it....

/ Got a newer Ford? Dont dent it.... #1  

lamanated

Silver Member
Tractor
BX2360 JD 425 jd 455
Our Fleet mechanics were at an updater today, and it was mentioned that the new pickups will be more expensive to fix dents etc. Ford is saying if there is a crease in a panel, you cant hammer it out, just replace it,which = more $$, Aluminum wont retain its strength I guess when its creased. Not a lot of shops will have fluency on fixing aluminum I bet either..
Quarter panels are 6 months behind backordered presently as well..

/ Got a newer Ford? Dont dent it.... #2  
Aluminum work hardens and then cracks. That's probably what they're referring to.

/ Got a newer Ford? Dont dent it.... #3  
im sure you can still fill it. There will be plenty of repairs to aluminum. There have been aluminum hoods for years right?? And I thought it was the frame, I guess the body is aluminum too?

/ Got a newer Ford? Dont dent it.... #4  
im sure you can still fill it. There will be plenty of repairs to aluminum. There have been aluminum hoods for years right?? And I thought it was the frame, I guess the body is aluminum too?

The body is aluminum the frame is steel.

/ Got a newer Ford? Dont dent it.... #5  
I was under the impression that most body shops, (and mechanic's for that matter) are all just parts replacers anyway.
What's not plastic or fiberglass on most over the road heavy trucks are aluminum also, the cab that is.

/ Got a newer Ford? Dont dent it.... #6  
I've got a 2016 and insurance didn't go up much at compared to my 2011. Maybe $15/mo...but obviously I hope I never have to use it! As Poke stated the body is aluminum and the frame is steel.

/ Got a newer Ford? Dont dent it.... #7  
The body is aluminum the frame is steel.
right??? I had it reversed? Not sure how I did that , I knew that, thinking when it first came out how thick the AL frame would have to be if that was the case.

/ Got a newer Ford? Dont dent it.... #8  
Seems like we regularly see posts like this but until someone can show that insurance costs are higher, it really won't matter to most of us.

/ Got a newer Ford? Dont dent it.... #9  
Actually Ford requires you to become certified to fix the aluminum F150's. Rumor is that the tools alone are around $25,000. The insurance companies are probably going to force you to take the truck to a certified shop to be repaired. Some companies are even refusing to write new policies on private owners with F150's (not fleet). My wife is an insurance broker representing numerous companies and has been dealing with these headaches since the new F150 was announced.

/ Got a newer Ford? Dont dent it.... #10  
This has been discussed in other threads. Essentially there are 2 opinions.

The vast majority of people can see that there are some differences in working with aluminum which will likely result in higher costs to repair as well as limit the number of shops which can handle the repair. That is on top of the fact that aluminum panels will cost more as well.

Then there is another group, much smaller, who denies any of the above is true and maintains that the costs will be similar.

Most people who weld realize there is a pretty big difference in working with steel as opposed to aluminum. I tend to think we will see increased costs in the short term but those will continue to drop if more manufacturers move to aluminum panels which will cause the body shop industry to increase training and equipment for working on aluminum vehicles.