welded trailer balls

/ welded trailer balls #1  

jack707

Veteran Member
Tractor
farm trac 555
20161014_152745.jpeg20161014_152809.jpeg

I had to weld this up because I was not going to spend 30.00! After all I had one just had to weld it to the reciver because when I cut it the shank it was not long enough to go thru the hole so how did I do? I had some 8018 left so I use them.

/ welded trailer balls #3  
Looks good, but I'd still keep it off the road.

I have a few inserts that are homemade, and others that have had repairs. They get used behind the tractor pulling the wood hauling trailers, shuttling the logsplitter around, etc.

Not that I dont have confidence in my welds, as I believe they would hold whatever I wanted to tow......but its the liability thing. Too much risk to take over a $30 ball/insert combo.

/ welded trailer balls #4  
I wouldn't use that over the road. 30.00 is not much to pay when a life may depend on it. .02

/ welded trailer balls
I just put this together to tow my log splitter in to town. Then I won't use it anymore.

/ welded trailer balls #6  
For off road use :thumbsup:

/ welded trailer balls #8  
Without any weld on the top side it's an accident waiting to happen, off-road or on.

The 1st picture does show it welded on the top side.

/ welded trailer balls #10  
I'd be OK with any use...
You can buy a welded ball assembly from Harbor Freight, and it's welded in China with sub-standard components, using sub-standard equipment... Your welds look solid, and from a materials standpoint, there really isn't any issue with what you've done.
I take that back. Generally speaking, you need to grind off the chrome plating before you weld, I believe. But you welded the top and bottom, so it's probably 2x stronger than the crappy HF 3-way ball mount, and I HIGHLY doubt they grind the chrome off the balls before they weld them.

Nice looking welds, btw. :)