DT466 stopped running

/ DT466 stopped running #1  

skylarkguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MT372, Ford NAA
So i have a 1989 int'l with a Dt466 motor. It always fired right up no problems. Several weeks ago it fired right up. I went inside to get wallet etc came out and it had died.

Now she only cranks over fast with no indication of starting. No smoke out the exhaust. I have confirmed that the fuel shut off solenoid is working (visually saw it pull) but feel there has to be a fuel problem somewhere.

I siphoned out 10 gallons of fuel. It looks like this. 1477087692492.jpgIt is onroad fuel so i was expecting red but this color seems off.

My plan at this point is to blow the fuel lines out. Replace the fuel filters prime it and hope for the best...unless someone has better ideas.

/ DT466 stopped running #2  
On road fuel sort of yellow greenish fresh out of the pump and off road is red. Anyway, crack the fuel line at the lift pump to see if you have fuel there. Do a search on the DT466 lift pump for lots of on line suggestions on trouble shooting the lift pump. Once past the lift pump, see if you have fuel at the filter, the injection pump and finally to the injectors.

One big question I have is about your fuel? Are you adding something like Power Service for lubricity? Low sulfur fuel by itself is typically detrimental to the older mechanical pumps. Not sure about the DT466 though.

/ DT466 stopped running
Thanks. yeah i always remember it backwards Red is OFF road. Got it now
I haven't added any additives. The local diesel shop said that the fuel doesn't look great. But they have seen worse and the early dt466 is pretty forgiving with crappy fuel. I'm pretty sure the lift pump is upstream of filters but need to confirm.
Frankly we don't use this truck enough so it's for sale...and this backs up the decision for sure.

/ DT466 stopped running #4  
I would change the Cam Position Sensor. Common issue with the 7.3

/ DT466 stopped running #6  
Thanks. yeah i always remember it backwards Red is OFF road. Got it now
I haven't added any additives. The local diesel shop said that the fuel doesn't look great. But they have seen worse and the early dt466 is pretty forgiving with crappy fuel. I'm pretty sure the lift pump is upstream of filters but need to confirm.
Frankly we don't use this truck enough so it's for sale...and this backs up the decision for sure.
Without looking, I would assume that you are correct that the lift pump is before the filters. No fuel is usually pretty basic but often expensive.

I understand the lack of use issue. A few years ago I upgraded to an FL70 to pull my tandem dually dump trailer around. It did the job but then I decided I was not getting enough use to justify keeping either unit so I sold them.

/ DT466 stopped running #7  
If it has a fuel shut off solenoid I would check to see if it is getting power and check to see if it is opening.
I had a 225 CAT that had issues with the solenoid.

/ DT466 stopped running
So i've decided that yhe culprit is the fuel supply pump. It only puts out a tiny little trickle of fuel plus the manual primer that is associated with it is totally frozen up...so at a mimimum that will have to be replaced/repaired.

/ DT466 stopped running
So i disassembled and freed up the primer pump and put it all back together. Replaced the fuel filters. Removed 25 gallons of lousy fuel. Put in fuel treatment in whatever remained. Added 10 gallons of treated fresh fuel. Primed it and she fired right up...whew.

Now anyone want to buy a truck. It is actually pretty cool. It dumps and is a scissor hoist that goes 14 feet high.