IHI 444 info needed

/ IHI 444 info needed #11  
7.3L Powerstroke sold by Ford 1994-2003 is sourced from IHC, engine T444E. (T-turbo, 444ci, E-electronically controlled).

The OP seems to already know that it is an entirely different animal than the earlier IHC 7.3L motor that was entirely mechanically injected, and was In-Direct Injection (IDI 7.3L/444ci). That motor, though low on power, was/is a stout powerplant, and with an aftermarket turbo kit, can provide respectable reliable power for many years. A very simple motor.

/ IHI 444 info needed
Here's a few reasons and uses why I'm looking at this truck.

1) The IH S1600 I'm looking at is not going to be a daily driver.
2) It has been slightly modified and is no longer used to haul big semi trailers. It has an 8' pickup bed on it now.
3) It is over 25 years old so it qualifies as a historical vehicle I can take to car shows.
4) On occasion I will use it to tow either my 14K tilt bed or 14K dump trailer which I'm sure will be no problem.
5) I think it looks cool.
This is not a rust bucket but a nice clean truck somebody put some money into.
Here's a pic.

Attachments

• 00303_doOMDpa6Dke_1200x900.jpg
    00303_doOMDpa6Dke_1200x900.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
   / IHI 444 info needed #13  
That's a fair bit different than what I got from your first post where the word 'dump' and '8' were used and I ended up with an 8 cubic yard dump body.

Best of luck.

/ IHI 444 info needed #14  
Looks like a nice rig, buy if the price is right.

5-speed might be medium duty truck trans, if it's OD it's likely a ZF5 out of a pickup.

/ IHI 444 info needed
That's a fair bit different than what I got from your first post where the word 'dump' and '8' were used and I ended up with an 8 cubic yard dump body.

Best of luck.

I did say an 8' dump PICK UP BED. (just the ' missing after the 8)
The 8' pick up bed will dump. Has electric hydraulic dump unit.

Last edited:
   / IHI 444 info needed
Looks like a nice rig, buy if the price is right.

5-speed might be medium duty truck trans, if it's OD it's likely a ZF5 out of a pickup.

The shift knob only shows R and 1-5. Don't know if 5th is OD or not. The 444 and 5 spd was also used in school buses of the same period. I'm not sure but suspect it is a medium duty truck 5 spd.

/ IHI 444 info needed #17  
Looks like a fun little "rig". I would bet that you could ID the trans without crawling under it just by looking at the gear shifter and knob in the cab. If not, take a look under the truck, look for aluminum (ford) or cast iron (Spicer or other med. duty) transmission case.

/ IHI 444 info needed #19  
The International Harvester IDI (from Indirect Injection) engine is a 4-stroke 8-cylinder Diesel engine used in International Harvester trucks, Ford F-Series pickups, and Ford E-Series vans from 1983 to 1994. The engine had two displacements: 420 cubic inches (6.9 litres), which was used in Ford trucks from 1983 until 1987, and 444 cubic inches (7.3 litres), which was used in Ford trucks from 1988 until 1994 (naturally aspirated) and in 1993 and 1994 (turbocharged). These engines were replaced in 1994.5 by the Navistar T444E (7.3 L) engine, which was also marketed under the Ford Power Stroke name.

The truck I'm looking at supposedly has the earlier non-powerstroke IDI 444. Was yours an early IDI or a powerstroke engine.

You are absolutely correct. Now that my memory is clear it was the sensor from the T444E, My truck was a 1995 with the 5 speed manual trans, and manual 4x4 trans case. They sure dont build them like that anymore. I currently have an 04 6.0 that will run circles around my old one...but I had to go through a lemon 03 to get a good one. Finally looking at new ones.

That looks like one great looking rig. Should work well for your needs

/ IHI 444 info needed #20  
be careful using a historic vehicle to do work...tow. At least here in PA you can't use an antique vehicle to haul or work it. If you do use it for work and have an accident you may open yourself to liability that your insurance may not cover.

It looks like a nice clean truck that someone has done a lot of work to. I have never been able to find a good source for interior parts (aftermarket) on these Internationals to clean up the inside of the cabs.