Cyclical brake noise in Toyota Sequoia

/ Cyclical brake noise in Toyota Sequoia #1  

clemsonfor

Tractor
Yanmar YM2000
2004 Toyota Sequoia

This started after I did the front brakes. I replaced them with top of the line quality ceramics. I cant remember now if they were Weaver, Raybestos or Advance auto Gold , I have used each in the last few years on vehicles. I had a local shop turn the rotors, I used brake parts grease on parts and pad backs, there were anti rattle/squeal (whatever you want to call them) shims already installed on the pads. Just after I test drove it I got a noise that would sound like "week..week..week" that was cyclical with the tire rotation, and inside and outside it sounded like a small squeak. I checked the clips on the caliper and the pins several times and regreased the pins. NO difference. It goes away if you apply pressure to the brakes and the pads close on the rotor. so its like something is out of balance/round and as it passes it hits the pads and makes the noise.

It got really bad, just a bit louder than it was. I pulled the rotor had it returned and that got rid of the noise, I figured it was off a but in the lathe the first time and was turned slightly out of round. Well after a week and a half or so and not more than a few hundred miles the noise has returned!!!

At this point I am not sure if uneven pad wear could cause it,,but why after a week of NO noise would it come back, the pads are way softer than rotors so they should of worn down if this was an issue I would think? Can a bad hub do this? But if the hub was bad (no movement on tire when jacked up) wouldn't it not matter if the rotor was returned and it got rid of it? OR my last and only thought at this point is the whole rotor is warped down to mounting surface and when it was returned the brake surface was true but at time increased that surface got worn back to the amount to allow the pads to be hitting when no pressure is applied to make the sound audible again?

Its not hurting anything, just drives me crazy cause I want it right and it makes the car sound like a piece of junk.

/ Cyclical brake noise in Toyota Sequoia #2  
sounds to me like a sticky caliper.

/ Cyclical brake noise in Toyota Sequoia
sounds to me like a sticky caliper.

I didn't think about that. Do you think that it would have stayed away for a week the second time after I turned the rotor? I really didn't pry the pads out just slipped caliper off, made sure to pump brakes before I took off as well and the noise stayed gone for a week or more, totally gone.

I'm not arguing just perplexed.

/ Cyclical brake noise in Toyota Sequoia #4  
Try swapping the pads right to left and see if it follows.

Could even do the rotors DP. GOOD suggestion.

/ Cyclical brake noise in Toyota Sequoia #6  
Did you put new caliper pins in? They could be causing it to hang a little bit if they are in bad shape.

No I didn't replace the pins, but they kind of float around loosely on this design if I remember right? Caliper bolts to bracket and there those pins that go through the top of the caliper as well as the brake pads. I know they have wear on them. I thought the pads came with them as it said hardware. But it was just the little wire clips. I probably will pick up some pins as well. There cheap and easy to replace.

Last edited:
   / Cyclical brake noise in Toyota Sequoia #8  
I agree on the caliper. I recently sold my 04 Sequoia, which I've had for a number of years . Did the brakes within the last year, three of the four calipers were in worse shape than I realized and were seizing.

/ Cyclical brake noise in Toyota Sequoia #9  
Might be stuck pistons in the calipers. A VERY hard brake stop (Both feet) will tell all: It won't release and the brake dust will coat your wheels. Then again, check wheel bearings.

And ceramic pads are harder that the iron rotors. That's why I won't use them unless they were OEM.

Might be stuck pistons in the calipers. A VERY hard brake stop (Both feet) will tell all: It won't release and the brake dust will coat your wheels. Then again, check wheel bearings.

And ceramic pads are harder that the iron rotors. That's why I won't use them unless they were OEM.

Toyota used ceramic from the factory on the sequoia. At least the Limited model with the larger 4 wheel disks.