Ball hitch for tractor.

/ Ball hitch for tractor. #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I know this question has been asked a million times but what is the cheapest way to hook a ball hitch to a tractor. I have a new 19' flatbed trailer that takes up a bay in my tractor shed. Sometimes I need to get it out/ put it back (tight fit) and doing it with the truck is a pain, especially when I'm alone. I see the three point deals but assume they will go upward since the three point hitch arms are not fixed in place.

Drawbar between the three point hitch arms would have the same problem.

I'm assuming that using the fixed draw bar would be cheap, but not sure if the trailer tongue would allow good mobility that close in behind the tractor.

I've seem hitches that attach to the bucket. Seems that would be touchy to maneuver.

Interested in what you guys use. Thanks.

/ Ball hitch for tractor. #2  
This or some variation of it. Mine will fit my QH on the Kubota or hitch to the 3pt on the Ford.

DSC07006.JPG

/ Ball hitch for tractor. #3  
I built this one for moving trailers around. All my trailers have a lot of tongue weight so I don't worry about the 3 pt. arms lifting. Made mine from a used draw bar between the lift arms, angle steel, used Reese type receiver, some square tubing. Basically just stuff I had laying around the shop.

Attachments

• DSCN1400 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1400 (Medium).JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 2,016
   / Ball hitch for tractor. #4  
I use a stationary hitch receiver on my BX "drawbar," with a HF extension to raise a ball insert and move it back.

Dual Hitch Extender

Bruce

/ Ball hitch for tractor. #5  
I have a hitch receiver welded to the top of my bucket. It is touchy but works good. I also use a ball on the drawbar. And, I welded a receiver to my Farmi winch. That's the best place to hook a trailer because it is further back. What implement is usually on your machine? Maybe weld a hitch on it?

/ Ball hitch for tractor. #6  
I built this one for moving trailers around. All my trailers have a lot of tongue weight so I don't worry about the 3 pt. arms lifting. Made mine from a used draw bar between the lift arms, angle steel, used Reese type receiver, some square tubing. Basically just stuff I had laying around the shop.

The coolest part about these is ease of use. Right behind that is versatility. Look at George's and mine. We have accessories welded to them to use on multiple tasks.

For the OP, he describes a situation of moving a dollied down trailer in/out of a building. Perfect setup for these hitches. Forget the trailer jack. Simply pick up the trailer hitch with the 3pt and move.

I placed a large ball on top of the tower of mine so I can move my GN. I've pulled my GN several miles hauling pipe using this setup.

When splitting a trailer load of wood I use it to spot my trailer mounted splitter and/or the trailer. Hitch/unhitch and never leave the tractor seat.

/ Ball hitch for tractor. #7  
I have a hitch receiver welded to the top of my bucket. It is touchy but works good. I also use a ball on the drawbar. And, I welded a receiver to my Farmi winch. That's the best place to hook a trailer because it is further back. What implement is usually on your machine? Maybe weld a hitch on it?

I welded a receiver to my small BB and used to use it a lot until I built my 3pt hitch.

/ Ball hitch for tractor.
I've read a good many people having issues with the three point moving upward. You guys haven't had this issue at all? My trailer is also heavy....I can't pick up the tongue when it is sitting level. I don't weld but you can find the triangular hitches for the 3 point for about $50 so that may be the way to go. I guess you could also run a small chain from the bottom of one of these to the drawbar mount to keep the lift arms from floating.

/ Ball hitch for tractor.
I use a stationary hitch receiver on my BX "drawbar," with a HF extension to raise a ball insert and move it back.

Dual Hitch Extender

Bruce

I'm thinking about this approach. Simple and cheap. Are you able to turn tightly with the trailer on?

/ Ball hitch for tractor. #10  
I'm thinking about this approach. Simple and cheap. Are you able to turn tightly with the trailer on?

Yes, it puts the ball behind the tires and lift arms, and my two small trailers have straight tongues, so I can turn 90 degrees plus when I need to.

I'm not just moving the trailer a bit, but I'm towing it around for work. A hitch on the lift arms would probably be more convenient for just moving the trailer a short distance.

Bruce