Idiots and winter driving

/ Idiots and winter driving #1  

coobie

Tractor
Kubota RTV 1100c, JD 740,Kioti DK 40 with KL401 loader .
Local news tonight 3 dead and 11 injured on I-96 crash lansing michigan.It seems that folks need to relearn every year how to drive in chitty snow conditions.

/ Idiots and winter driving #2  
People here in Wi use the road near me as a speedway even if you car has good tires and breaks you can't drive 70mph in snow!!!!!!.

/ Idiots and winter driving #3  
As a teen I learned by driving onto the frozen river where we skidded to our hearts content learning as we did so.
Even today when snow covers the roads I always find some place to re-hone my skills.
Must admit that I still prefer nonABS over ABS as I find ABS takes much more distance for a good stop.

Also with ABS the sensors at times all seem to say that if one skids the others should stop resulting that actually none agree and you end up with no brakes so I still use the old pump pump technique.

Yep AWD is great to get up and go, but you still need to know how to stop. (and steer)

/ Idiots and winter driving #4  
You think its bad up there.. Ohio drivers are the WORST! I think the further you go south the worse they drive on snow.. for obvious reasons. My son lives in TN and they get a snow once in a blue moon. He said dad you wouldn't believe how bad people drive in snow down here.

/ Idiots and winter driving #5  
We got our first dusting here in Salem today, they had been talking it up on the news for three or four days. Not too bad, but we also get a fair amount of freezing rain, which is another matter entirely. It's slushy and raining right now, think it's going to turn to freezing rain and maybe snow a bit more on top of that, so avoiding that is definitely the wise choice.
We also have a spate of accidents after a snow. Seems that people have short memories and common sense deficiencies as well. We even have accidents in the summer after the first rain after a long dry spell due to the rubber and oil on the roads getting slicked up and people not driving accordingly.

/ Idiots and winter driving #6  
You think its bad up there.. Ohio drivers are the WORST! I think the further you go south the worse they drive on snow.. for obvious reasons. My son lives in TN and they get a snow once in a blue moon. He said dad you wouldn't believe how bad people drive in snow down here.

Bunch of years back, going to Florida to visit we encountered minor snow event en route and as Quebecers we were to maneuver any which way we wanted around and in between all the southern drivers.
Seems the believed that the more power the better while we pretended we had eggs under the gas and walked by all of them.
We snaked and steered all around them while the just burned rubber (and melted snow)

/ Idiots and winter driving #7  
People here in Wi use the road near me as a speedway even if you car has good tires and breaks you can't drive 70mph in snow!!!!!!.

Sure you can. You just can't do it in traffic. If the road's open, no traffic, snow covered but packed down a bit, you have a good machine and confidence in your skills, you can drive like a maniac. Its all those other folks that cause the problems.

/ Idiots and winter driving #8  
Local news tonight 3 dead and 11 injured on I-96 crash lansing michigan.It seems that folks need to relearn every year how to drive in chitty snow conditions.

40 cars and trucks. I saw it on the news tonight. Didn't look good.

Last Sunday we were over east of Battle Creek and heading west when it started to snow. I'll have to say that people generally were being overly cautious for the conditions. That was good to see. :thumbsup:

However, a few were being overly cautious in the left lane, which lead to folks getting short tempers wanting to get around them. Speed limit was 70. Road was damp, at worst. A bit of slush on the lines, but some folks were going 35 in the left lane with their flashers on. They should have moved over if they had to drive that slow.

/ Idiots and winter driving #9  
Driving into town tonight the snow was just starting to stick to the roads. Intersections are starting to ice up where people are hitting their brakes. I saw firetrucks and ambulances coming towards me. They pulled off into an O'Riley's auto parts store. There were three cars crumpled like tinfoil and a large section of the side of the O'Riley's store was missing. You could see into the back warehouse! Didn't look good. People were still in the wrecked vehicles. :(

/ Idiots and winter driving #10  
And they've never heard of winter tires.

First storm in Boston las year, I was driving out of town in about 2" of snow and there was a guy driving a brand new BMW in the passing lane at 20mph. Why spend $50,000 on a car and cheap out over $800 worth of tires?

Usually, though, the 20mph tieup is due to a "I've been driving in snow for nn years and don't need winter tires because of my mad skillz" driver.