Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #111  
I agree, rules are rules, and everyone should be following them. If you don't like the rules then work to get them changed, don't cheat.

Funny, in today's political climate were politicians in cities and states are picking and choosing the rules they want to follow they now expects us to not!

Exactly, and if you read up on the TRUE issue, they are not "cheats" built into the software, they are software programs that are active at certain times and were inadvertently omitted on the LISTING of programs. I do not recall specif functions but were NOTHING like what VW did. The EPA says anything that is not SPECIFICALLY LISTED the consider a cheat.

"EPA says that FCA failed to disclose the following Auxiliary Emissions Control Devices (AECD).

Full EGR Shut-Off at Highway Speed
Reduced EGR with Increasing Vehicle Speed
EGR Shut-off for Exhaust Valve Cleaning
DEF Dosing disablement during SCR Adaptation
EGR Reduction due to Modeled Engine Temperature
SCR Catalyst Warm-up Disablement
Alternative SCR Dosing Modes
Use of Load Governor to Delay Ammonia Refill of SCR Catalyst

EPA claims that a combination of these AECDs cause the diesel-powered Ram 1500 and Jeep Grand Cherokee to behave differently during the standard EPA compliance testing procedures, than during real world operation."

As far as I have heard, the ECOdiesel has not emitted illegal emissions, FLT did a test also with no illegal emissions. At this point it seems to be a paperwork error and I hope it stays that way.

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #113  
The thing I would miss most about diesel tractors is compression braking on my steep woods downhills. I doubt any electric regeneration for charging or whatever could equal that mighty hold-back. I wouldn't miss the diesel smell in the shed though. Sorry, straying far from topic.
Jim

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #115  
The thing I would miss most about diesel tractors is compression braking on my steep woods downhills. I doubt any electric regeneration for charging or whatever could equal that mighty hold-back. I wouldn't miss the diesel smell in the shed though. Sorry, straying far from topic.
Jim

It's all based on what the AC-DC inverter will do. Our EV can dump 50kW(67HP) of power from highway speeds down to around ~25kW at < 30MPH for regenerative braking, plus you're getting fuel back when ya do it!

The only difference between an electric motor and generator is direction the electricity flows, if you can dump ~700kW in the forward direction I'm sure you can get good braking in the other direction.

Anyway, I think we derailed this enough, if I remember correctly we're talking about Eco Diesels.

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #116  
Funny, in today's political climate were politicians in cities and states are picking and choosing the rules they want to follow they now expects us to not!

"EPA says that FCA failed to disclose the following Auxiliary Emissions Control Devices (AECD).

EPA claims that a combination of these AECDs cause the diesel-powered Ram 1500 and Jeep Grand Cherokee to behave differently during the standard EPA compliance testing procedures, than during real world operation."

As far as I have heard, the ECOdiesel has not emitted illegal emissions, FLT did a test also with no illegal emissions. At this point it seems to be a paperwork error and I hope it stays that way.
I've read that too, where it says it's more a matter of FCA not disclosing all the devices. But then FCA has said they can fix all of this by "flashing the ECU to bring the software into compliance". Those two statements are contradicting, at least on the surface. Maybe the software quietly makes these 8 adjustments and does it without codes or signatures, which makes it look like they are intentionally hiding the device changes. That would be best case scenario, meaning an ECU change that merely tracked these device adjustments while driving would not change how the engine performed.:thumbsup:

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #117  
In my mind, maybe the EGR isn't needed at highway speeds to meet the standards? Is this cheating because they didn't tell the EPA? I don't now the answer to these questions but I'm sure their goal is to meet standards and not exceed them by a wide margin. Like most stories, we probably won't know the truth.

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #118  
I've read that too, where it says it's more a matter of FCA not disclosing all the devices. But then FCA has said they can fix all of this by "flashing the ECU to bring the software into compliance". Those two statements are contradicting, at least on the surface. Maybe the software quietly makes these 8 adjustments and does it without codes or signatures, which makes it look like they are intentionally hiding the device changes. That would be best case scenario, meaning an ECU change that merely tracked these device adjustments while driving would not change how the engine performed.:thumbsup:

The ECU controls all of that so a reflash would fix the problem.

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #119  

A big company like this would not make a "paperwork error" on something so important.

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #120  
That ECU flash will most likely kill the economy.