Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #1  

TheGoose

Platinum Member
This truck has been on my radar for awhile. Looks like I may try to order one. Anybody hear that Ram is having trouble with the EPA certifying diesel engines for 2017? Word is that you cannot get a 2017 ED 1500 Ram. I'm looking to custom order one because I cannot find one rigged out the way I want with the Ram Box Lone Star Edition.

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #2  
What I have read on the various RAM forums is the ECODiesel had to re-go the emissions certifications brought on by the VW SNAFU. Haven't hear more than that, seems it is all on the hush for the most part.

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #3  
No word. We have 3 of them at work. They ride nice and have been dead reliable but everyone who uses them says they like the 5.0L F150 or the 5.3L GMC trucks we have in our fleet for towing.

They do turn in mid 25ish MPG overall for just running around checking or job sites.

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #4  
No word. We have 3 of them at work. They ride nice and have been dead reliable but everyone who uses them says they like the 5.0L F150 or the 5.3L GMC trucks we have in our fleet for towing.

They do turn in mid 25ish MPG overall for just running around checking or job sites.

If this chart is correct, it appears that the Ram eco-diesel is not really made for towing.

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #5  
Why bother with a small diesel in a light duty application ? This is 2017 with Tier IV diesel emissions and diesel fuel costing as much as gasoline per gallon. Gelled fuel filters in winter too. It's not 1974, today's gassers are direct injection not carburated, no point ignition systems , no cross over vales, no distributer cap and wires.
Save yourself a load of money and liability and purchase a gasser. A pickup truck is not a semi truck tractor.
Only reason diesels exist in Europe and 3rd world countries in light vehicles is because gasoline is luxury taxed much per expensive per liter than diesel and diesel does not evaporate away as fast as gasoline.

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #6  
Some of the Ram 1500's have pathetically puny payload numbers and I think the diesel version is one of them in certain configurations. Make sure you have enough payload to cover whatever you weigh over 150 lbs, any passengers you haul, and tongue weight for the trailer. Even with a totally empty bed payload can go fast as some of the Ram's are like only 900 lbs payload which is puny even by compact truck standards let alone modern 1500 series

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
I own a F250. If I need to tow heavy I've got it covered. The most I'll ever tow is my 35 HP tractor around 5-6k and a two horse trailer.

Looks like the RAM will do about 8k towing and about 1500 payload. Good enough for what I need. I'm gonna hold up the horse trailer loaded and see how it squats.

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Why bother with a small diesel in a light duty application ? This is 2017 with Tier IV diesel emissions and diesel fuel costing as much as gasoline per gallon. Gelled fuel filters in winter too. It's not 1974, today's gassers are direct injection not carburated, no point ignition systems , no cross over vales, no distributer cap and wires.
Save yourself a load of money and liability and purchase a gasser. A pickup truck is not a semi truck tractor.
Only reason diesels exist in Europe and 3rd world countries in light vehicles is because gasoline is luxury taxed much per expensive per liter than diesel and diesel does not evaporate away as fast as gasoline.

We don't have much winter here. 70* and sunny. 45*F is about as cold as it gets.

The ED is a $3k option over the hemi. I think it would be great for a daily driver.

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #9  
I can only speak to what was available in 2015 and would think my overall experience would transfer to 2017 except for the new technology. While I was looking for heavy duty half ton trucks in 2015 for heavy towing, >= 10,000+ pounds, only GM and Ford could cover this. I decided HD halfs for my load wants/needs just would not provide the security I wanted with chassis/suspension/braking strength. I then decided to go diesel 3/4 ton and went with the Ram 2500 after driving gas and diesels.

No comparison with diesel torque in any manner. Mine has ~ 350 HP and 800 pounds of torque at 1500 RPM. In my testing, the gas engines ran out of breath with hard acceleration at ~ 65 MPH unloaded, while the diesel just kept pulling. I average ~ 19 - 20 MPG in decent weather with an 8500 pound truck running the speed limit in continuously hilly areas, especially two lane, back highways. When passing slower vehicles on winding, hilly back country highways, the acceleration will sit one back in the seat. Brings a smile to my face :). Not many straight, level areas around here. I imagine the straight line, level fuel mileage would be noticeably better. Love my RAM. All said and done it cost ~ $10k more than the HD half ton, gasoline engined trucks I was looking at.

25 MPG in a daily driver, full size 1/2 ton truck that would not need to pull heavy loads would be pretty attractive to a lot of folks, I would think; most trucks I see are not loaded and seem to be more of a family vehicle with a HD, open bed. In 2015 no gas trucks with any kind of abilities came close to 25 MPG.

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #10  
If you do a search, there is some traffic on the internet about cam sprocket bolt failures that trash the whole engine. I'm leery about a FIAT (fix it again Tony) engine with not much operating history.