What's the Best Farm Truck to Haul my Tractor and Cattle with?

/ What's the Best Farm Truck to Haul my Tractor and Cattle with?
You need to keep your cost down. A used diesel truck worth anything is $20,000. A gas or even can be had for $7500

That F250 7.3 IDI 4x4 with 118k miles I showed in the first post was for sale for $2800

No issues to speak of on that truck, tires are bald but the SCAs were checked 4 years ago he said, I read those are supposed to be checked every other oil change in a 7.3 IDI

/ What's the Best Farm Truck to Haul my Tractor and Cattle with? #22  
That F250 7.3 IDI 4x4 with 118k miles I showed in the first post was for sale for $2800

Buyer's expectations vary widely. Some people will sell a vehicle because it has rust. Some can't tolerate a worn seat. Some will even sell because it needs tires and aligned. Without knowing each person's "requirements" it's hard to place value on a vehicle.

People ask me when I'm gonna get a new truck. Mine is 17 years old with 220K miles rusting and has a left rear bed corner crumpled. None of that bothers me. It's a farm truck. The dog rides in the front passenger seat, muddy feet and all. It very rarely requires minor repairs. It's perfect to me. Some people wouldn't sit in it let alone drive it every day. :)

Buyer's expectations vary widely. Some people will sell a vehicle because it has rust. Some can't tolerate a worn seat. Some will even sell because it needs tires and aligned. Without knowing each person's "requirements" it's hard to place value on a vehicle.

People ask me when I'm gonna get a new truck. Mine is 17 years old with 220K miles rusting and has a left rear bed corner crumpled. None of that bothers me. It's a farm truck. The dog rides in the front passenger seat, muddy feet and all. It very rarely requires minor repairs. It's perfect to me. Some people wouldn't sit in it let alone drive it every day. :)

I wanted something that wasn't too beat up, but reliability is most important, I don't wana have to work on it every time I need to use it or every weekend.

My current F150 has been that for me so far, I have to work on it about 2-3 times a year on average (little simple stuff) but I use it every other day hauling water and I am towing/hauling almost every weekend, I have even drove it to work for the last two summers while I was trying to save up to buy a new car or fix the one I have.

It's by far been the most dependable vehicle I have owned so far.

It was a city truck that was sold to a junk yard for scrap, my cousin knows a owner of the junkyard and they got it running and I bought it off him, had under 100k miles when I got it. Minimal rust, would have been a shame to let it sit in a junk yard with so many years of life yet.

I have had the truck 3 years now. Everything is rebuildable and grease able, very easy to work on, sure it has no factory radio and has a huge amount of wind noise driving down the road but has never broke down.

/ What's the Best Farm Truck to Haul my Tractor and Cattle with? #24  

No issues to speak of on that truck, tires are bald but the SCAs were checked 4 years ago he said, I read those are supposed to be checked every other oil change in a 7.3 IDI
I would take a serious look at that. I bought one new in 03 and it's lugged a 10000# 5th wheel up and over mountains for 50K miles of its life. It's got 90K miles on it now. I service it myself every 5K miles for about $100.00. I'll never get rid of it.

I would take a serious look at that. I bought one new in 03 and it's lugged a 10000# 5th wheel up and over mountains for 50K miles of its life. It's got 90K miles on it now. I service it myself every 5K miles for about $100.00. I'll never get rid of it.

Ford Powerstroke or international IDI?

/ What's the Best Farm Truck to Haul my Tractor and Cattle with? #27  
Couple months ago my youngest Son bought an '05 F350 crew long bed 4x4 6.0L AT truck with 180K miles. Very straight Lariat truck. No engine repairs had been done. Paid $3200. Brought it home and discovered it was drinking water. Tore it down and did all the mods and deletes. Spent $1800. All the diesel guys say he now has a very dependable diesel engine. He's in for $5000. Pretty good investment. Time will tell. :)
That 6.0 with a few mods will run with anything built up to about 2014. The new stuff is just stout.

Do some research on the 6.0. I have had 2 trouble free ones. As you ment6they can be bought right and a few grand will build you a truck that can't be beat.

/ What's the Best Farm Truck to Haul my Tractor and Cattle with? #28  
Just test drove a 2017 F2 50 with the big gas motor V-8 I think it's like a 6.2 or three or something. Very impressive truck. Seemed well-built and not over engineered. I thought it was a great value at under 40,000 brand-new. It also has the aluminum body so body rust shouldn't be an issue going forward.

/ What's the Best Farm Truck to Haul my Tractor and Cattle with? #29  
A good used 3/4 ton truck should be about right for pulling your 4320 around. A 1 ton single rear wheel would work too and may have a higher numerical rear end. That might make pulling easier but increases fuel consumption too.

I pull my equipment similar size with an F550 most of the time and occasionally with my F250. Both will do the job but I feel the heavier F550 is a little safer on steep terrain.

/ What's the Best Farm Truck to Haul my Tractor and Cattle with? #30  
If you don't put on too many miles, I've had great luck with old Ford 460's. Only weak spot was E4OD automatic transmission and of course fuel mileage isn't good by today's standards. Lots of used parts are cheap and easy to find and old duallies don't cost much unless they are in immaculate condition cosmetically.