Blacklion tires 255/70/18

/ Blacklion tires 255/70/18 #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
I am looking for tires for my 13 Tundra. Tight budget, found blacklion tires for $633 out the door. Looking for some opinions on these tires. Found some overall good ratings, but they appear to be Chinese made, which makes me a little leery. Thoughts?

/ Blacklion tires 255/70/18 #2  
My thought is that you should buy the best quality tires you can. I am as thrifty as anyone, but I buy only brand name tires for my vehicles. I typically buy Michelin, but I just put Firestone on my wife's Expedition. You get lots of rain in Louisiana. At 80 mph in a downpour with your family in the car, will you be glad you saved a couple hundred on your tires?

By the way, I paid 650 out the door for the Firestones on my wife's Expedition - with an alignment. We have a great locally owned shop that I use for all my vehicle tires.

/ Blacklion tires 255/70/18 #3  
Considering that I drive a 2+ ton truck at over 69.0 mph at most times, I would NEVER ride on a few pounds of tires that I had some doubts about. Tire constructions provide traction, durability, wear, bruise resistance, air retention, fuel economy, handling, emergency maneuvering, stopping distance, balance, load capacity, longevity, speed rating and a safe and secure feeling in the cab. I ONLY buy GDY, MIC, BRI, DUN, COO (thats Cooper: Now a Ford OEM Supplier), UNI, CON, or GEN brands. If you can't afford a set of 4, buy 2 at a time. If these are for the son-in-law you hate, gift these baloney skins to him and tell your daughter to stay away from his truck.

Even junk yards can provide decent tires (2 at a time only) if you look them over.

/ Blacklion tires 255/70/18 #4  
Over the years I've bought several sets of Hankook tires. I've never had any problems with them and feel secure using them. Put 4 on one axle of my dual wheeled GN couple months ago. Later was checking the air in them be sure they all sealed and noticed Hankook is now having their tires made in China....... Previously they were made in Korea. Time will tell.

/ Blacklion tires 255/70/18 #5  
deerefan, ever use Tirerack.com?
this looks like top value based on relatively high rating, known brand, low price
Kumho Road Venture AT51

if you have never heard of the brand name, I'd be concerned too.

/ Blacklion tires 255/70/18
deerefan, ever use Tirerack.com?
this looks like top value based on relatively high rating, known brand, low price
Kumho Road Venture AT51

if you have never heard of the brand name, I'd be concerned too.

I like them. Being in construction, I tend to get off road some. I will look for a supplier in my area. That is only $7 a tire more.

/ Blacklion tires 255/70/18 #7  
If I were you I would spend a few extra dollars. I bet $100 difference will get you into a quality tire that will last 20,000 miles more.

Remember, only a fool buys a car based on payments. You need to look at the total cost and break it down to cost per mile.

/ Blacklion tires 255/70/18 #9  
Bump bump

Last edited: