Auto scan tool suggestions

/ Auto scan tool suggestions #1  

Scotty Dive

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2020D
Looking for suggestions for getting the codes off my Silverado. I need the air bag capable scanner. My head was spinning trying to find one. Anyone have one they recommend?

/ Auto scan tool suggestions #2  
I've looked at them for a smart phone but I think those are some what limited. I'd also like to have one.

/ Auto scan tool suggestions #3  
Most people don't want to pay the price for a scanner that will actually help diagnose a vehicle, not just "pull codes". I've had & used Snap-On scanners since they came out in 1988 and other than OEM brand-specific equipment it is the next best one going. I just retired this past year from twisting wrenches and needed another scanner for the very late model stuff for my own use - my own scanner was only good to 2004 models since the shop I worked at kept up to date equipment for us to use. I got a good deal on a Snap-On Solus Pro on ebay for $900 that's good up to 2015 models. You might find something a little cheaper, mine has the European software & adapters that you might not need/want, but the basic Snap-On comes with all domestic and asian software. If your vehicles are older, the Snap-On MT2500 scanners are considerably less expensive and plentiful online.

/ Auto scan tool suggestions #4  
Looking for suggestions for getting the codes off my Silverado. I need the air bag capable scanner. My head was spinning trying to find one. Anyone have one they recommend?

I always just look up the codes online if I need them so I get a scanners that I can use for other stuff. I find the ScangaugeII good because it isn't expensive, it's standalone and I keep it plugged in all the time and use it for it's gauge functions too. I tend to shy away for all the needless bluetooth and cell phone nonsense. >> ScanGauge II

/ Auto scan tool suggestions #5  
Really depends on what you want,

self contained (plug into diag port and read codes) or run on smartphone or tablet or computer?
run tests?

It seems that there are many that will pull codes (then you can look them up on internet) but if you want more information, then things get a little more expensive. I have a couple, one that has connection to laptop from vehicle port (got it when I needed to replace intake gaskets on '98 Yukon and needed camshaft offset to set distributor) and then later one that connects to smartphone with bluetooth. I used it to pull codes and reset, want to do more but have not spent the time yet.

/ Auto scan tool suggestions #6  
The standard scan tools available at HF and auto parts stores usually don't do airbags or ABS.

I have an Autel Maxicheck Pro that does most of the diagnostics that I run across. It costs a little over $200. at various places.

Amazon.com: autel maxicheck pro

I'm currently shopping for a TPMS trigger tool for when I rotate tires or have to replace a TPMS sensor.

/ Auto scan tool suggestions #7  
Forscan app
Or torque pro app?

/ Auto scan tool suggestions #8  
Ateq vt30 for tpms. It does trigger and read....