Cloudy Headlight Lenses

/ Cloudy Headlight Lenses #1  

RichZ

Veteran Member
White Creek, New York, Washington County, on the V
Tractor
Kubota 4630 with cab and loader
I have a 2004 Subaru Outback, and the headlight lenses have become cloudy. I bought one of those buffing kits to clear it up, and it does clear it up, but it doesn't last, and the lenses become cloudy again. I've been looking online for someplace that sells replacement lenses, but they just seem to sell the whole headlight assembly. Is there anyplace that sells just the headlight lenses? I don't see why I have to replace the whole headlight assembly.

Thanks!!!

/ Cloudy Headlight Lenses #2  
I've done a few cloudy lenses for people by using polishing compound and a small buffer. I started by wet sanding the lens with 1200 grit paper then polished. They came out very well. Not sure but I don't think you can get the lens separate, they only come as the whole assy.

/ Cloudy Headlight Lenses #3  
I have a 2002 outback sport and mine did the same.When I had the car detailed the detailer polished the lenses and it only lasted a few months.When I had a new stereo installed at Car Toys they offered to polish the lenses and the job that they did lasted.

/ Cloudy Headlight Lenses #4  
It will be difficult to find just lenses as they are bonded to the headlamp body. After polishing the lens, you need to put on a protective clear coat. There are some kits that include it.

/ Cloudy Headlight Lenses #5  
I can't speak specifically on your Outback but every lens on my vehicles is a one piece unit manufactured that way to keep moisture out of the inside. As mentioned plastic wax or other sealant will delay the cloudiness but this is cause by the lens deteriorating and only a new assembly will "fix" the problem. I personally miss the old glass headlights but they cannot be molded into all the cool shapes used in cars today.

/ Cloudy Headlight Lenses #6  
Try out a product called PLASTX, made by Meguiars, that can be purchased at Wal-Mart for under 10 bucks.
Directions are on the back of the bottle. Basically rub it on the lense til it totally cleans off the top layer of crud, then use a terry towel to scrub and remove all the remaining cleaner off of the lense. If the lense are really bad, give it a second go once you have cleaned off the first layer. By the time you get to that stage, you should be able to hear a squeak when rubbing the towel over the lense. It is made to remove cloudiness, yellowing, oxidation, and fine scratches. I also use it on red tailights. It werxs awesome.
I would like to see your review after you give it a try.

/ Cloudy Headlight Lenses #7  
There is a company that sells car detailing products that makes a kit that includes a clear coat you spray after you clean them. Its called Griot's Gargage and you can order stuff on line. We used it on my sons car and its holding up well.

/ Cloudy Headlight Lenses #8  
Any good toothpaste will work as well. But without a buffer, you are not going to remove a lot of the pits and dings that are causing the issue at a very small level.

/ Cloudy Headlight Lenses #9  
I went round and round with a bunch of products. Bottom line for me nothing was a long term solution. I found Rock Auto has a good selection from cheap to high level certification. I ordered a set of the mid range and have been very happy. Bite the bullet and be done with it!

/ Cloudy Headlight Lenses #10  
Wet sanding with 4 different types of grit paper that came with a Mothers product worked well and lasted on my duramax?might give it a shot.