Recommendation on short tie-down

/ Recommendation on short tie-down #1  

MillWeld

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 641
I am installing D-rings on the floor of my trailer which will connect to the frame for max strength. When loaded on the trailer I want to secure my tractor from tipping so I will put chains around the axles and secure them to the D-rings. My question is how to tension the chains given the short distance from the axle to the D-ring. I can't measure this distance right now because the tractor is in the shop but the working room is probably less than 18". (I am thinking I want a 5000 lb WLL tie-down; I trust load binders more than ratchet straps.) The tractor is a 1958 Ford 641. My searches for chain binders don't give the lengths. I would like to have my trailer modified before I go to pick it up. Thanks.

/ Recommendation on short tie-down #2  
I don't know if you can get a binder in 18". It would be close. Can you cross tie the load, i.e. chain the left wheel to the right side of the trailer, and right axle to the left side of the trailer. You'd get more space for your binder.

/ Recommendation on short tie-down #3  
If you can't cross the tie downs, you could make a couple of short chains, hook direct, then tension from the binders on the other end.

I sometimes see heavy machinery tied down down with a steel cable loop, with cable clamps.

Bruce

/ Recommendation on short tie-down
If you can't cross the tie downs, you could make a couple of short chains, hook direct, then tension from the binders on the other end.
Bruce

I didn't follow the suggestion "tension from the binders on the other end". Can you clarify?
Bob

/ Recommendation on short tie-down #5  
Short, non-adjustable chains on the front. Regular binders on the rear that are tightened enough to put tension on the front chains.

Bruce

/ Recommendation on short tie-down #6  
That was similar to my trick. I would back the tractor on, connect the chains on the front to the tractor and directly to the D-rings, then continue backing up a little to tension them. Then on the rear I had 2 more chains (very short) and I would use binders on those 2 chains to do final tension. Worked great, and only 2 ratchet binders used.

/ Recommendation on short tie-down #7  
Don't put d rings directly under the axle, put them in front or behind. if you put them directly under the axle the tractor will rock back a forth

/ Recommendation on short tie-down
OK. Now I get it. (In my case I go forward to load the tractor on the trailer). With the rear wheels between the tandem axles tie down with chains to D-rings then tension it forward until tight. Enough tension will prevent tipping and rolling. I could even use the front trailer frame to ratchet the trailer forward, but I think I will install 3rd and 4th D-rings just far enough forward of the tractor to allow working room. Sound like a plan? Do you leave it in gear as an extra precaution or is that a bad idea?
Bob

/ Recommendation on short tie-down #9  
I think I would check with your D.O.T. on whether or not that is legal before I ever ventured out on the road.

/ Recommendation on short tie-down #10  
You need a angle on your chains. About 45deg. If not the thing will roll back and forth 6" every time you stop and take off.