Pick-up Tires = $$$$$

/ Pick-up Tires = $$$$$ #1  

FredH

Platinum Member
Tractor
N.H. TC-30
Wow , Been awhile since I had to buy pickup tires and since sons pickup has been broke down for several months , He has put close to 10,000 miles on My pickup .
Now that 10,000 miles would of took Me at least 2 years if not 3 or maybe even 4 years to drive , since I only use it on weekends and 1 week a year to go Elk hunting .
Thus am now looking for tires . Wife had just got replacements on her subaru a few months ago and told Me to check out were She went . Cheapest was $800 mounted and balanced but only 40,000 miles tires . Another brand was $900 with a 45,000 mile rating . All others were over $1000 , most being right at $1,100 , for 50,000 and 55,000 mile rating .

Not looking at street tread or super aggressive , more like a All terrain type . 265 - 70 - 17 , load range E / 121 .

Found some off brands on ebay for $500 and up , but then you have mounting , etc... , that is if anybody will even do it for You . Some of the shops around here are real snotty when it comes to dealing with " other places tires " . 1 company that is big here in the Northwest , no longer gets My business . Had a new Steer put on by one of their shops near Portland . Since it was a emergency road repair , it was not balanced . Several weeks later , I stopped at 1 of 3 shops they have here locally and was told they would not balance it since they did not carry that Brand . Well , when I produced the receipt , they though it was a forgery ??? Seriously , Just so I could PAY to have You balance the tire ?? Ended up calling the original shop , who called the local shop , who then moaned and cried all the time they were charging Me $50 to balance the dang tire . After they were done , I walked to the front desk instead of the back commercial desk and said I would now be taking My business else were and closed My personel account .

Anyway , Looking around , the best I have found , as far as the tread I am looking for and price has beens Sears of All places . $650 and that includes replacing rubber valve stems with steel , like on My commercial truck . Brand is not that important to Me anymore . I have driven on just about all the big name brands both personnaly and commercially and wear , ride is close enough when comparing apples to apples .

What is every one else riding on ??

Oh Yea , pickup is a 2006 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4 wheel drive with a long bed and AT transmission . Also has a ARE aluminum canopy on the back with the double swing open doors , ( requires 3 of Us to get it off and on ) .

Fred H.

/ Pick-up Tires = $$$$$ #3  
Wish you were closer Fred and I'd help you out. Due to the tire prices plus mounting and balancing I bought my own tire machine and computerized balancer (Sice tire machine and Coats balancer both used) years ago and buy tires online and do my own. I belong to a classic car club so I change tires for buddies restoring cars and trucks. A few bring their newer vehicles too. I don't do a lot of tires, probably only 40-60 tires a year but my buddies appreciate me having the tools.

/ Pick-up Tires = $$$$$ #4  
Fred, I don't guess "Discount Tire Co." has a store in your area, but if I wanted the Cooper Discoverer ATP (55k mile warranty) which I guess is about what RickB recommended, a set of 4 would cost me $789.29, including mounting and balancing, old tire disposal fee, sales tax, lifetime rotating and balancing, any flat repairs, etc. And my tires are 265/60R18. The truck has the original Hankook tires on it with 29k miles on them.

/ Pick-up Tires = $$$$$ #5  
I bought Cooper AT 3 for my 3/4 ton 245 75 16 for 600 out the door!.

/ Pick-up Tires = $$$$$ #6  
I have pretty much switched to Costco. You get Michelin and every other month they offer $70 off on the set. Way cheaper than the local chain you refer to and you get a good known brand. FYI they only charge $15 to mount. Put a set on our PU last summer and was less than $800. I don't remember the exact number.
BTW you made me look up where you live. I've been in Oregon my whole life and thought I had at least heard of most the small towns, but had to look this one up.

/ Pick-up Tires = $$$$$ #7  
Just looked up Costco tires online Michelin 50K tire your size and e121 $713 plus $60 mount and balance.

/ Pick-up Tires = $$$$$
I have pretty much switched to Costco. You get Michelin and every other month they offer $70 off on the set. Way cheaper than the local chain you refer to and you get a good known brand. FYI they only charge $15 to mount. Put a set on our PU last summer and was less than $800. I don't remember the exact number.
BTW you made me look up where you live. I've been in Oregon my whole life and thought I had at least heard of most the small towns, but had to look this one up.

Ruch is like a known location , not really a town since My mailing address is Jacksonville . I have seriously considered getting my own equipment , thus able to do tires on family , friends , and neighbors . There are several places like discount tire that I wish were around here . Seems like most are up north , We hill folk are not worth the $$ to have a place around Here :)

Think 2 of My brother's have Cooper's on their Toyota's and have gotten very good results . Guess I am in Sticker Shock :shocked: Guess I am use to spending $2500 to $3000 for 8 drive tires on My semi and it never occured to Me that pickup tires had increased so much .

Fred H.

/ Pick-up Tires = $$$$$ #9  
My BFG AT KO LT 265 70 17 10 Ply cost me $1,196 and have been worth every penny.

/ Pick-up Tires = $$$$$ #10  
Semi tires are kind of like semi batteries. About 3 sizes will fit most semis. Pickups seem to have a different size for every make year and size. You can buy a group 31 battery all day long for $100. An equivalent pick up battery with less CCA will be $150.