Diamond C Tilt trailer 48HDT ?

/ Diamond C Tilt trailer 48HDT ?
I was looking at that same trailer recently. How balanced is the gravity tilt. One of the things I need a trailer for is hauling water and am wondering if with water balance would I be able to unlatch, get on the very back of the tail and have it tilt down, thus allowing the water to fully drain? When hauling water at -35 degrees fully draining the tank is important. Power tilt is probably out of my budget.

If water tank was mobile, and you have a means of controlling movement, once tipping point is reached it's easy to control rate of tilt. At least it is for me loading/unloading my tractor. Finding that point with a stationary tank might be tricky, considering how much it would weight full and placement on trailer in full condition. I find that my 175# is sufficient weight to tilt empty, as long as I'm on level ground. On a slight downhill grade its a bit of a chore. I hope this helps. I'm very satisfied with the trailer. It's a quality build, tracks strait, brakes well, and easy to maneuver I especially like the large lockable storage box.

/ Diamond C Tilt trailer 48HDT ? #12  
That actually helps a lot. When I saw videos of this trailer on YouTube my thought was to set the tank balanced on the tilting portion so a little weight at the back tilts it over. Now you have me realizing that I also will need to check if the point where the tilt is balanced is also the point where the load is balanced on the trailer for driving down the highway, and there is a good chance that it won't be.

/ Diamond C Tilt trailer 48HDT ? #13  
That actually helps a lot. When I saw videos of this trailer on YouTube my thought was to set the tank balanced on the tilting portion so a little weight at the back tilts it over. Now you have me realizing that I also will need to check if the point where the tilt is balanced is also the point where the load is balanced on the trailer for driving down the highway, and there is a good chance that it won't be.
Most if not all gravity tilt trailers pivot right between the axles. So if you balance a load perfectly on the tilting deck it will be ballance perfectly on the 2 axles. Which means all the weight is going to be on the axles, including the 10-15% or so you want on the tongue. Would end up being a fishtailing disaster without the proper 10-15% tongue weight.

/ Diamond C Tilt trailer 48HDT ? #15  
About how much tongue weight is the trailer empty?

/ Diamond C Tilt trailer 48HDT ? #16  
About how much tongue weight is the trailer empty?
22' deck, replied to the other post earlier but it didn't show up.

390lbs according to my Sherline scale. I marked where the tires ended up loading the tractor forward & backward. Shot for around 1,000lbs with the pallet forks & an impliment on the back. May need to pull a hair forward for a hair more tongue weight when I get a chance to haul the tractor rather than just weigh tongue weight.

/ Diamond C Tilt trailer 48HDT ? #17  
Thank you Fallon. The reason I ask...I am looking at buying like yours only in the 24 foot length. I thought about getting the 22 foot, but think I need the 24 foot for more wiggle room and tongue weight adjustment. I have a 20 foot trailer but it is just too short. I looked at the Big Tex, but they only go up to 22 feet.

Another question...With the valve control adjustment on the Diamond C...can the deck be locked in the up position or just movement only?

/ Diamond C Tilt trailer 48HDT ? #18  
Thank you Fallon. The reason I ask...I am looking at buying like yours only in the 24 foot length. I thought about getting the 22 foot, but think I need the 24 foot for more wiggle room and tongue weight adjustment. I have a 20 foot trailer but it is just too short. I looked at the Big Tex, but they only go up to 22 feet.

Another question...With the valve control adjustment on the Diamond C...can the deck be locked in the up position or just movement only?

I hear that. Upgraded from a 16' to the 22'. Was depressed to see no free space on the deck with a 3pt trencher & pallet forks hooked up.

It's power up & power down. Buttons on a maybe 20' cable (haven't pulled it out of the box) & a remote keyfob. Apparently the remote is new (hint, it goes to sleep after 20 min & you need to hit up & down at the same time to wake it up) & the dealer wasn't that familiar with the remote. There are hooks on the frame & pins on the tilting deck. Move a lever to latch the deck down with the hooks for transport. Only supported by hydraulics when raised.

My local Big Tex dealer indicated they didn't make a power tilt deck over. I still likely would have gone with the Diamond C. It's a little more expensive, but a little more solid (at least comparing the gravity tilt & other trailers).

The gravity tilt trailers have a manual valve on the dampener. I assume you could lock it tilted up (or download with just that. Only cracked the valve or left it open myself. When down every gravity tilt I've seen has a lever of some sort for mechanical latches.

/ Diamond C Tilt trailer 48HDT ? #19  
Thanks! I plan to get the gravity tilt and was wondering.

/ Diamond C Tilt trailer 48HDT ? #20  
Thanks! I plan to get the gravity tilt and was wondering.
Diamond C uses a single acting cylinder as the hydraulic resivore on their gravity tilt trailers. Looks a little funky strapped to the frame rod attached to nothing. But it seems to work well.