Pulling GN trailer with a Tractor

/ Pulling GN trailer with a Tractor #1  

gzfrt9

Tractor
6615 Cab, 5520 4x4 Loader, 5520 Cab 2 wheel, 4400 Compact,
Just purchased a new PJ 28 foot GN lowboy. We are looking move the lowboy to the field with tractor unhook. Load up, hook back up to a 3PT hitch trailer mover. And pull them about a mile home. The question is will this be treated as a farm implement or treated as a trailer. The reason I ask is: 1. If treated as farm implement, I do not need to strap bales down. 2. If treated as trailer, I must strap down to prevent unsecured load ticket. Live in Michigan, Any one have any experience with how the law treats this?

/ Pulling GN trailer with a Tractor #2  
Really don't matter, TIE the darn bales down, if something happens while on the road you'll wish you had of tied them down.

/ Pulling GN trailer with a Tractor #3  
I really don't think you will give a tinkers toot or feel any better calling it a farm implement or trailer - if those bales start falling off while moving them. Strap the load down and be safe.

/ Pulling GN trailer with a Tractor #4  
on the other side of the lake... if you keep it under 40km/h and have a SMV sign on the back.... its farm equipment.

That said... if this is something you plan on doing on a regular basis, I'd have a cargo net made up to make securing the load fast and easy

/ Pulling GN trailer with a Tractor #5  
I do not know about your area but a trailer loaded proper does not need to be strapped down for 1 mile IMO . Ive feed 1000s of bales of hay off of a 34' GN trailer and tractor where I would load and go 15 miles from the hay stack and load and feed and do this several times over 5 to 6 hrs a day.

/ Pulling GN trailer with a Tractor #6  
I do not know about your area but a trailer loaded proper does not need to be strapped down for 1 mile IMO . Ive feed 1000s of bales of hay off of a 34' GN trailer and tractor where I would load and go 15 miles from the hay stack and load and feed and do this several times over 5 to 6 hrs a day.
I understand where you are coming from, But, Try explainIng that to the judge and jury when the defendants lawyer asks you about it. I'm going to guess he doesn't have a lot of experience in this area, hence why he is asking, so if someone just said "Sure, they will be fine not tied down" then he has a problem, we didn't help him any. If he starts out tiring them down and gets to a point he feels that he don't, then that's his decision, least we have given the safest advise we can.

/ Pulling GN trailer with a Tractor #7  
I understand where you are coming from, But, Try explainIng that to the judge and jury when the defendants lawyer asks you about it. I'm going to guess he doesn't have a lot of experience in this area, hence why he is asking, so if someone just said "Sure, they will be fine not tied down" then he has a problem, we didn't help him any. If he starts out tiring them down and gets to a point he feels that he don't, then that's his decision, least we have given the safest advise we can.

If a person takes advise off of the internet and uses that as the end all. Then what ever happens, happens . Every single person will have a different opinion. I tend to err on the side of efficiency and common sense. If it makes a person feel better to tie down a load and drive a mile then do it. and if I were concerned about the local laws I would ask someone that enforces the local law . FWIW the DOT , state troopers and sherriff dept here does not bother you if you act like you halfway know what your doing . traveling an interstate is different situation all together and again OP said 1 mile .

/ Pulling GN trailer with a Tractor
5Mfarms, I was looking for opinions and what they do. Your right, I haul hundreds of bales on hay wagons. Single and two tier and I will with my lowboy.
Just was wondering if anyone out there had a bad experience with the Law.
Here in our area, you can not pull two wagons with a pickup. Without getting a ticket. Also if you are pulling a wagon with your pickup without strapping your round bales they ticket you for unsecured load.
That's why a GN behind a tractor looks very appealing, because you can just load and go. With out strapping.
Also properly loaded there not moving.
BTW, I'm not talking about down the highway. These are dirt back roads!

/ Pulling GN trailer with a Tractor #10  
5Mfarms, I was looking for opinions and what they do. Your right, I haul hundreds of bales on hay wagons. Single and two tier and I will with my lowboy.
Just was wondering if anyone out there had a bad experience with the Law.
Here in our area, you can not pull two wagons with a pickup. Without getting a ticket. Also if you are pulling a wagon with your pickup without strapping your round bales they ticket you for unsecured load.
That's why a GN behind a tractor looks very appealing, because you can just load and go. With out strapping.
Also properly loaded there not moving.
BTW, I'm not talking about down the highway. These are dirt back roads!

I understand you dilemma Personally I would just do it and deal with a situation if it arose. We don't have any issues with The law when it comes to agricultural here .