Bought the wife a dump trailer ...

/ Bought the wife a dump trailer ... #1  

nikdfish

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038E & 1025R FILB
The wife has been wanting a dump trailer for a while, so we finally brought one home :).

We had decided on a 7K dual axle, partially because the weighted plates on the F-150 already accommodate the 7K car hauler. We looked at a few of the locally available choices (BigTex, Hawke and PJ) and settled with the PJ 5x10 7K dual axle. Dollars on the three makers we looked at were fairly close (< $600 range), and the PJ had, IMHO, the best combination of features and construction of those we considered.

The form factor should work well for how we are going to use it. The relatively low sides are easy to reach over and let even the 1025R dump fully with forks attached to the bucket when used here at the house site. The 5' width is easier for "reach over" and more handy in tight quarters. The system includes a 120v charger you can power with an extension cord via a covered plug port on the side of the equipment box. I plan to add one or two small solar panels to keep the battery topped off. The hydraulic dump mechanism is powered up & down.

dump-t-1.jpg

dump-t-2.jpg

dump-t-3.jpg

A crank rollup cover is on order, I should be able to get it on in about a week. A big portion of the intended use is for removal of "woods trash" as we continue to clean up our mostly wooded 4.5 acre home site. It will also be good for mulch, gravel, etc. both around the house & the "acreage" down the road (20 acres inherited from the wife's family). Both of us are getting tired of having to handle stuff multiple times, so having the option to dump contents is going to be a real treat!

Nick

/ Bought the wife a dump trailer ... #2  
Re: Brought a dump trailer home

Nice trailer. I would like to have one. It would be very handy.

I am assuming when you say "woods trash" you are moving stuff away from the house and front lawn and leaving it in the woods?

/ Bought the wife a dump trailer ...
Re: Brought a dump trailer home

Nice trailer. I would like to have one. It would be very handy.

I am assuming when you say "woods trash" you are moving stuff away from the house and front lawn and leaving it in the woods?

Actually, we have been cutting & removing dead fall materials. There are also some fallen timber that had been cut but not removed. Small cedars are generally cut & chipped. It has been basically turning the woods into more of a park-like condition. It also lets us get rid of briers and poison ivy. Eventually we will remove the portions of the wood pile that are too big to chip since there hasn't been much interest in it by friends or family (we don't heat with wood ourselves). We do some burning of trimmings out at the acreage, but we will probably start taking more large material to the "landfill" where the wood will get tub-ground to mulch.

Nick

/ Bought the wife a dump trailer ... #4  
My daughter and son in law were removing sod and dirt to make way for pavers and the gravel under them. They had a hard time finding a place that would accept it and when my daughter called an old work acquaintance, he said she could unload at his house in the back field. They had a military trailer they had got a good deal on and loaded it with shovels and unloaded with shovels. When they got there to unload, he offered his dump trailer (like yours, I think it was 14K).. it cut down on the work they had to do by a large amount... Wish my wife had wanted a dump trailer...

/ Bought the wife a dump trailer ... #5  
Congrats - we bought one last summers and it has been a GREAT investment. Found I use it more often than I even expected and it sure is nice to go get a load of stone and just press a button to unload. After years of shoveling gravel and mulch from the bed of my pickup the dump trailer is dream come true.

/ Bought the wife a dump trailer ... #6  
They are very nice. My son just bought a new 14' 14K dump trailer. It's a good thing he lives just down the road.

/ Bought the wife a dump trailer ... #7  
That's a fine looking unit. I built myself a farm wagon - no dump capability. I forwarded a quote request to my local dealer to see what the ??? would be.

That's one of the only dump trailers I've seen that might survive being pulled behind my tractor and used on the property. I haul rocks, dirt and large sections of tree trunk around the property. The farm wagon is 20 ton and has fared well but I sure could use that dump feature.

/ Bought the wife a dump trailer ... #8  
looks nice. I bought a towmaster from local rental company a few yrs ago. It's a little beat up having been a rental ,but it works great. I only wish if had 2 small tail gate doors instead of one large one though.I guess I could make them, but it's just not worth the effort.
Mine is 16' paid 3 k for it.
It has come in handy. It's one of those things you don't use all the time, but it's worth having it when you need it !

/ Bought the wife a dump trailer ... #9  
Had a good friend loan me his dump trailer for a few weeks while I gutted and renovated a bathroom. Hauled everything to the dump, no mess, great purchase!

/ Bought the wife a dump trailer ... #10  
... Wish my wife had wanted a dump trailer...
Years ago I had a JD350 crawler delivered to our place. I told my wife I bought it for her and if she didn't want it, I would use it. :D

Yes, we're still happily married. :)