Round Baler Towing

/ Round Baler Towing #1  

Draagyn

Silver Member
Tractor
65 JD 3020, 75 IH 966
Looking at hauling a round baler long distance on my gooseneck for the first time. Any tips on loading/unloading, tying down, blocking, height, width? At widest point it is 9" wider than trailer and allowable width without permit.

/ Round Baler Towing #2  
Get some 4x4 and nail to the deck to make wheel chocks, I'd cross tie it with 4 chains and I'd put two to the tongue. Don't rely on the jack on the tongue for support, do it onto a 6x6 or something of adequate height.

/ Round Baler Towing #3  
Other than the obvious chain down, screw a 3' long 2x12 down to the deck where the tongue jack will sit, crossing several boards crossways (if it's not with the tractor on the drawbar). Learned this the hard way, as usual.

/ Round Baler Towing
Thank you. Do you think I'd be able to turn the baler at a slight angle to make it fit in my 8'6" width requirement or should I just take the wheels off once it's loaded?

/ Round Baler Towing #5  
I would just let it overhang to the curbside or split it (around here) unless it's the tires, then definitely split it even.

/ Round Baler Towing #6  
Don't forget height. 14ft max from ground to top. That's DOT requirement. I can't with my wheel over GN.

/ Round Baler Towing
Ya 13'6" here. Baler is about 9'6" and GN is 3' so I have lots of room there. Think I will split the difference and hang wheels over each side. If I get busted I'll just take the wheels off. They're fairly lenient towards farmers here... hopefully

/ Round Baler Towing
IMG_7739.JPG