I love my wife.

/ I love my wife. #1  

Sysop

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035HST purchased 2013 - Husqvarna TS348-D purchased 2019 - Craftsman 42" HST purchased 2003
Wife comes up to me today and says "You know, for the projects we have planned, we really need to use our tax refund money to buy a trailer that will haul the tractor and implements. Start shopping..."

What I'm looking for is a 2-5/16" ball coupled, with a 20' deck, 22' max., that I can put 10,000lbs on the deck, doesn't weigh a ridiculous amount on it's own, and I would prefer the jack mech be mounted far enough back I can open my tailgate on the truck. Seems my local trailer place has stuff with the capacity, but not the length, and others with the length, but not the capacity. To get the length and capacity from their inventory, I need to step up to a much larger (more expensive) trailer with a pintle or gooseneck. I'd love to stay under the $5k mark if I can and I'd be willing to drive a couple hours to get it if needed.

Suggestions, thoughts, or wisdom to share?

/ I love my wife. #2  
Just need to find another trailer dealer that has what you are looking for. You don't need to go pintle or gooseneck for a trailer that meets the needs. I have a 22' PJ full tilt, 14K rated, weighs about 3800 lb. which leaves about 10,200 on the deck. 2 5/16th adjustable height hitch. 12K jack mounted by the front of the deck no problem with tail gate interference.
I know PJ as well as other brands make a similar trailer of what I have in a non tilt with ramps in the price range you mentioned. The tilt bed of course was more.
Here's an example. PJ makes them from 16-40'.
PJ Trailers | 8" Channel Equipment

Here's more tagalongs.
PJ Trailers | Goosenecks, Dumps, Utility, Equipment Trailers, Flatdecks

/ I love my wife. #3  
Wife comes up to me today and says "You know, for the projects we have planned, we really need to use our tax refund money to buy a trailer that will haul the tractor and implements. Start shopping..."

What I'm looking for is a 2-5/16" ball coupled, with a 20' deck, 22' max., that I can put 10,000lbs on the deck, doesn't weigh a ridiculous amount on it's own, and I would prefer the jack mech be mounted far enough back I can open my tailgate on the truck. Seems my local trailer place has stuff with the capacity, but not the length, and others with the length, but not the capacity. To get the length and capacity from their inventory, I need to step up to a much larger (more expensive) trailer with a pintle or gooseneck. I'd love to stay under the $5k mark if I can and I'd be willing to drive a couple hours to get it if needed.

Look up Leonards Trailer Sales (Eastern Ohio) and see what they have in stock. Last time I was there they had pretty much one or more of everything...They aren't too far from you, I wouldn't think.

/ I love my wife. #4  
Look at Gator Made in Kentucky. We sold a few 14K trailers that were 20' plus 2' Dove Tail and about 3,500# empty.

/ I love my wife. #5  
Fayette in PA always has large inventory of PJ:

Fayette Trailer

You're looking for an equipment/car hauler type (deck between wheels), correct, not a deckover? Deckover will be more expensive and slightly heavier, but if you need it you need it.

/ I love my wife. #6  
Good for you and your wife.

I'd hate to see the trailer I could buy with my tax refund.:mad:

On the other hand, the government could buy a really nice one with what I paid.

/ I love my wife.
Thanks for the input so far, I'm still looking.

Downslope: yes I'm looking at a standard car/equipment style. My tractor isn't wide enough to need a deckover, although I do prefer the heavy duty fenders in case I would have a wider load to carry at some point.

/ I love my wife. #8  
Thanks for the input so far, I'm still looking.

Downslope: yes I'm looking at a standard car/equipment style. My tractor isn't wide enough to need a deckover, although I do prefer the heavy duty fenders in case I would have a wider load to carry at some point.
I think the main point of the HD fenders is that you can drive over them with wide track equipment, but as far as loading something wide I wouldn't want to be driving around with a heavy weight resting on the fenders. PJ does make a low-profile trailer called the super-wide which is narrow between the HD fenders but a full 8.5' deck otherwise.

PJ Trailers | 8" Channel Super-Wide

/ I love my wife. #9  
I bought 20' Maxx XD in Jan for $4,300 + tax + spare tire that is 14k rating that I am happy with.

/ I love my wife. #10  
Used trailers would be a nice way to go. My neighbor has offered (not currently) his 20ft Big Tex for about $2500. Didn't have the cash when he offered it, and now he's keeping it. But the trailers are out there. It used a 2 5/15, and I could drop the tailgate with it connected.