need new trailer tires .....

/ need new trailer tires ..... #31  
As far as spares go, I have two full spares on rims because if you are halfway through a long trip and you get a blowout, are you going to do the last 1000 kms with no spare? Not easy to stop for an hour and get a new tire on the rim while horses are on the trailer (when you stop they get restless and start kicking) and besides we often drive through the night by tag team driving. I also keep a full can of diesel in the back of the truck because open stations can be spotty at night.

FWIW, we bought a horse trailer that took the same size tire and rim size (ie, hole placement and all) as our truck, so that we'd have access to two spares (for whichever vehicle), should they be needed on a trip.

/ need new trailer tires ..... #32  
I am using 16" load range" E " LT radial tires and getting good service

Absolutely the right choice.

Most ST tires are junk and they are so cheap that they are suspect right out of the gate. I just bought a set of ST 205/15s for my quad trailer for $70. each, mounted on new wheels, all aired up and ready to go.

But for my travel trailer that I tow out to the desert and use on the highway in hot weather, it's LT tires only. BTW, that is what came on it from the factory.

ST tires have a very bad reputation for blowing out and the idea of running any tire at full pressure all the time, just to keep it cool, is a problem. LT tires are not so prone to popping or timing out and you can run them at a wide range of pressures, according to the load and road conditions, without a problem. How many of you guys would actually throw a set of truck or car tires away just because they were 3 or 4 years old, just to keep them from blowing out? And as far as stiffness goes, the weakest sidewalls I've ever seen were on Carlisle radial trailer tires. The sidewall squirming load on my Ram Cummins truck is very high and it's never a problem with LT tires.

/ need new trailer tires ..... #33  
FWIW, we bought a horse trailer that took the same size tire and rim size (ie, hole placement and all) as our truck, so that we'd have access to two spares (for whichever vehicle), should they be needed on a trip.

I am kind of surprised that would work as trailer hubs usually stick right through the big hole in the middle of the rim, so you can't get a car/truck rim on there. Certainly not an alloy rim. I guess if the spares were all steel trailer style rims with the big hole for the hubs it would work. My trailer and truck are both 8 bolt rims, but i think that is about the only thing they have in common. Good idea if you can make it work though. :)

/ need new trailer tires ..... #34  
I am kind of surprised that would work as trailer hubs usually stick right through the big hole in the middle of the rim, so you can't get a car/truck rim on there. Certainly not an alloy rim. I guess if the spares were all steel trailer style rims with the big hole for the hubs it would work. My trailer and truck are both 8 bolt rims, but i think that is about the only thing they have in common. Good idea if you can make it work though. :)

Hello - Have been researching this forum after getting a couple of flat tires on my Belmont 12,000 GVW dump trailer. Upon inspecting my paperwork - I discovered existing tires (Carlisle) were appx. 9 yrs. old. I decided to buy Greenball Tow Master radial trailer tires (thanks - Diamondpilot) in size of 235/80 R16 - load range E. I had them mounted, balanced, and also including high pressure, steel tire valve stems. Very fair price - appx. $125.00/ea. total. Will report how they work out.