Trailer plug adapter

/ Trailer plug adapter #1  

BWSwede

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar
Hello all,

When I haul my tractor with my rear finish mower attached the mower hangs over the back of the trailer enough that you can't see my tail lights unless you are a long way behind me. I am thinking of buying some magnetic mount tail lights (like tow trucks use) to mount on the deck of the mower to keep from being rear ended and to be lawful when hauling at night.

I currently have a 7 pin connector between the truck and trailer. I am looking for an adapter that will plug into my 7 pin truck receptacle and on the other end have a 7 pin receptacle for the trailer and a 4 flat receptacle for the auxiliary lights. I have been looking around but haven't found anything. Anybody using something like this or know where I could possibly get one? (I am trying not to splice into my wires.)

TIA,
BWSwede

/ Trailer plug adapter #2  
Check uhaul they used to sell a replacement light bulb with a pig tail attached the you ran out from under the lens cover to plug in external lights

/ Trailer plug adapter #3  
I would just tap off the trailers tail lights and install either a 4 pin flat or another 7 pin.

You can buy magnetic trailer lights with wiring to a 4 pin plug at Harbor Freight for $15 or less. I have had a set for 10 years that work very well.

/ Trailer plug adapter #4  
When I built may sailboat trailer, I installed a car/truck receptacle at the back of the trailer. Its purpose was to have a place to hook up a temporary light for the mast when trailerin at night. Works great. its always there when needed. Light stays in trailer box until needed.

Also etrailer.com has at truck plug that has a 7 pin RV and a 4 pin all in one. you could also make that into an adapter cord, add a male plug to go into tow vehicle, and have female ends for trailer lights and extra mower night light. Jon

/ Trailer plug adapter #5  
I ordered mine with a receiver hitch and a 7 pin plug.

P9062368.JPG

I later moved the connector up out of harm's way. :thumbsup:

PC220019.JPG

It would be easy to add a connector on the back for magnetic lights.

/ Trailer plug adapter
Thanks for all the great ideas guys. I looked some more at adapters thinking I might be able to find two adapters placed in series that might accomplish what I am after but no such luck. I really like the last idea presented by Xfaxman. I think I'll take a look to see how accessible my wiring is at the back of the trailer. If it is I may just tap into it there instead of at the truck and mount a 4 flat plug at the back of the trailer.

What I also want are back up lights on the trailer, but that is another project for another time.

Thanks again,
BWSwede

/ Trailer plug adapter #7  
Xfaxmans' idea is about the best I have seen. With another 7 pin plug at the rear adding back up lights is a matter of mounting the lights and plugging into the connector. 7 wire cable is available at most automotive stores that supply trucking companies.

/ Trailer plug adapter #8  
New trucks are coming with a 7 pin plug and a 4 pin plug combo. Maybe you could find one to put on your truck? Other than that you'll probably have to make an adapter. Just to keep things simple, and wire length shorter, the plug at the back of the trailer is probably the best idea.

As far as backup lights, that shouldn't be too hard once you get the correct wire from your plug. I believe it's the center pin. You'd think the center pin would be ground but it's not.

/ Trailer plug adapter #9  
New trucks are coming with a 7 pin plug and a 4 pin plug combo. Maybe you could find one to put on your truck? Other than that you'll probably have to make an adapter. Just to keep things simple, and wire length shorter, the plug at the back of the trailer is probably the best idea.
If you have a Ford/Chevy/GM, there is a replacement socket for the vehicle side that has both a 7 pin and a 4 pin connector: Amazon.com: Hopkins 4955 Multi-Tow T-Connector Wiring Kit: Automotive
If you have a Chevy/GM, they also have a version that uses the original twist lock mount on the hitch (no drilling needed): Amazon.com: Hopkins 4 Endurance 7 Blade and 4 Flat Twist Mount Multi-Tow Connector: Automotive

Aaron Z

/ Trailer plug adapter #10  
Xfaxmans' idea is about the best I have seen. With another 7 pin plug at the rear adding back up lights is a matter of mounting the lights and plugging into the connector. 7 wire cable is available at most automotive stores that supply trucking companies.

From looking at Xfaxman's trailer He must use that plug often for aux. lighting. The ramp support brackets are blocking the view of the taillights from the rear.