Forest River Dump trailer

/ Forest River Dump trailer
It sure looks like you get what you pay for.

I need to actually go look at some better ones. Like Moritz, Kauffman, sure-trac, pj etc.

Just going off of published spec, this trailer looked to be built as well as any of the other (better?) 6' 10k dumps.

Published specs say 10ga sides and floor, 6" channel frame, 16" spaced cross members, 4" cylinder, lippert 5200# axles, etc. Pretty well matches the specs of most of the big players.

But I guess there is no substitute for critiquing things first han. Online pics only show so much.

Areas I will pay close attention to are how the cylinder mount areas are reinforced, rear pivots, cylinder sizing and orientation, etc.

Been watching some you tube videos of people showing off their dump trailers. Dumping logs, firewood, concrete, stone, heaping loads of topsoil, etc. Pretty much exactly how I want to use mine

/ Forest River Dump trailer #42  
Since they are still publishing the inaccurate specs for cylinders with no disclaimers on their website about possible changes, you can't trust any of their other specs. Who's to say what other materials they changed over the years.
I think Moritz is built right there in Mansfield. Maybe you can pop in there for a peek.

/ Forest River Dump trailer #43  
One thing I like about the Kaufman site is they state exactly how each trailer is made with options available. I was impressed with their facility when I went down and purchased my grapple from them. They sell direct to the public and the salesman was very helpful. When I called them up on the phone cash got me and additional 5% discount. Since you are in Ohio it would probably be better to stay local if possible. My drive to Lexington was only an hour and a half.

/ Forest River Dump trailer #44  
Look at the "iron bull", of the 10 or so I looked at, I found them to be the most well and thoughtfully built.

Those iron bulls look as good as any. But hatewhen a company don't have a simple dealer locator on their website. Want my name, address, and email....no thank you. You can have my zip, that's it for now. So guess I can't even see if I have dealers around.

Wonder what kind of prices they run? And I didn't even see a low profile option or ramps.

If I'm gonna pay premium price (which for a 6x12 seems to be about $6000-$7000) it will likely be a Moritz, PJ, or sur-trac

/ Forest River Dump trailer #46  
In that price range I really like the build quality of the Bwise, they have a really nice fit and finish.

/ Forest River Dump trailer #47  
Those iron bulls look as good as any. But hatewhen a company don't have a simple dealer locator on their website. Want my name, address, and email....no thank you. You can have my zip, that's it for now. So guess I can't even see if I have dealers around.

Wonder what kind of prices they run? And I didn't even see a low profile option or ramps.

If I'm gonna pay premium price (which for a 6x12 seems to be about $6000-$7000) it will likely be a Moritz, PJ, or sur-trac

I know, all these trailer websites are lacking. I can't defend the website, other than to say a slick website wasn't a consideration. Mine was about $7 thousand plus tax for a 7x12 scissor with a 5 or 6 inch cylinder with 3 way gate a spare tire and drop legs.

Aside from the structural features being very good, little things like tail gate latches and ramp storage were well thought out.

Tried to call yesterday up to forest river, but still havent heard anything regarding the old trailer. But have been doing alot of online shopping. Not really alot out there in a 6x12. Plenty of 7x12 or 6x10's out there. And of those options I'd probably lean toward a 7x12.

I'd like to say I have narrowed it down....but not really. :laughing: Got 10 options. ALL have ramps, adjustable coupler, lower profile,and the barn door tailgate. starting with the cheapest....All prices out the door.

1. Carry-on.....7x12 12k........14ga sides / 11ga floor......single 4x30 cylinder....$4933.......10 min from home
..............Dont really like the thinner gauge sides and floor.......and dont really care for single cylinder designs.

2. Texas pride ...7x12 12k.....11ga sides / 11ga floor.....single 3.5x24 cylinder....$5510 ........30 min from home
.......Have my doubts that the short stroke 3.5" cylinder will actually dump a 8k load on this trailer? At least the carry-on has a bigger bore and longer stroke (to be placed at a better leverage point)

3. Liberty........6x12 10k .....14ga sides / 12ga floor......single 4" cylinder......$5617 ..........1 hour from home
...............Thin sides and floor compared to the rest. And still a single cylinder

4. Griffin.....6x10 10k .........cannot find any specs ......twin cylinder ...........$5617 .........30 min from home
...............10' is a bit small for my liking. And cant really find any information about griffin online

* Diamond C .....77" x 12' ....10k.....12ga sides and floor formed 1 pc.....single 3.5x30 cyl....$5670.....1hr away
.........comes with tarp, auto-quality urethane paint instead powder coat.

5. Sure-trac ....7x12 12k ........10ga floor / 10ga sides.....twin cylinder ........$6400.........15 min from home
..........heavier floor and sides, close to home. Can upgrade to scissor lift for $250

6. Quality steel......7x12 12k......11ga / 11ga...............twin cylinder ...........$6525...........30 min from home
.................thinner sides and floor.

7. Moritz.......7x12 12k .............10ga / 10ga...............scissor hoist .............$6625 ..........1 hour from home
...............Nice looking trailer. 8" I-beam frame and tongue as opposed to the 5"/6" channel used on the others.

8. Bri-mar......7x12 12k............14ga sides / 10ga floor......SINGLE cylinder .....$6740........1 hour from home
.......I know its a brimar. But a single cylinder and 14ga sides at this price point:mur:

9. Rice........7x12 14k..............8ga sides / 7ga floor.........scissor hoist ...........$7490 .........1 hour from home
......Nice heavy floor and sides. And a 14k. Is that worth a $1000 more over a moritz or sure-trac??

10. PJ...........7x12 14k...........10ga/10ga....................scissor hoist..............$7700...........1 hour
........8" i-beam like the moritz, 14k, and comes with a tarp. But just too rich for me.

Thats really about all there is around here. Sure that are alot of 7x14, or alot of other 7x12 14k trailers. But all I need is a 7x12 12k at the biggest. The rice and PJ I included that are 14k......thats only because there are no 12k options around here at any of the dealers.

Some of the other trailer MFG's mentioned in this thread....there just aint any dealers I can find close enough to be in consideration.

Any of you have any first hand experience with any of these? Any particular ones to avoid?

Last edited:
Edited the previous to show the diamond C.

Man this is a tough decision. The diamond C dealer (sounded like an amish guy), wasnt pushy but really believed in the diamond C trailers as being the best. And pointed out several things about the others that werent as good. He dont like powder coat. And said that is the reason they no longer sell PJ trailers. Because the salt here in ohio + chips in the powder coating from use = peeling off in sheets. He said the diamond C coating is alot better with an epoxy primer and baked urethane paint.

He also advised that moritz are a well built trailer, but that the issue is the torsion axles. And they kept having warranty claims on the axles cause when you dump, all the weight is put on the back axle. And some of the other axle styles arent as good either, and that slipper springs are the best way to go for a dump.

I know when I got the forrest river, I paid $5150 for a 6x12 10k trailer. And this is a tad wider, same standard features, only $500 more. Just hate that for another ~$750 I can get a 7x12 12k sure trac that has two cylinders, and bigger axles. (but no tarp).

Diamond C dont make a 12k. And to get a 7x12 14k with no tarp is $7250

/ Forest River Dump trailer #50  
Kaufman Trailers in NC sells a 7x12 12k with two cyl scissor lift for 5400. They ship direct no dealers.