Need trailer recommendations

/ Need trailer recommendations
Well, aparently I'm either an idiot or just too trusting...

The trailer I bought as an 18ft trailer is actually a 16ft trailer. The seller advertised it as 18ft. I didn't take a tape measure and check. Long story short, he is going to give me my money back.

So, today I invested in a brand new 20ft trailer instead. It was only $500 more than the used trailer anyway.
7503469305c04333e544f46ebd440ce3.jpg

/ Need trailer recommendations #22  
I found the same thing when I bought my last trailer. People are off their nut on how much some of this used equipment should be worth. I bought my last trailer brand new (and better built) than most of the used ones I saw for sale at the time. But same goes for tractors too. A 15 year old tractor with 5K hours on it is NOT worth $5K less than a brand new similar model.

Oh well, I'll just keep buying new then...

/ Need trailer recommendations #23  
A buddy of mine bid on this trailer for me, so I bought it site unseen, I'm debating if I should keep it or send it down the road.

It's a 80" x 16ft 8000lb trailer with 2in ball.

Wheels look to be aluminum, one tire is less than 50% tread the rest are in good shape, it's got cooper tires on it.

It has a 7 pin round plug but doesn't look like it has breaks, it's got reversing/ spot lights wired on the rear. Idk what do you guys think she's worth?

IMG_7565.JPGIMG_7567.JPGIMG_7568.JPGIMG_7566.JPG

Edit: we measured the deck, it 75in x 16ft

Last edited:
   / Need trailer recommendations #24  
If it has brakes there will be wires going to the backing plates. If so easy to hook them up. If not send down the road.

/ Need trailer recommendations #25  
A buddy of mine bid on this trailer for me, so I bought it site unseen, I'm debating if I should keep it or send it down the road.

Wheels look to be aluminum, one tire is less than 50% tread the rest are in good shape, it's got cooper tires on it.

It has a 7 pin round plug but doesn't look like it has breaks, it's got reversing/ spot lights wired on the rear. Idk what do you guys think she's worth?

View attachment 512073View attachment 512074View attachment 512075View attachment 512076

$950 without brakes, ramps, or a spare. $1200 if it had them.

Chris

/ Need trailer recommendations #26  

View attachment 512073View attachment 512074View attachment 512075View attachment 512076

It really depends on what your needs are, and how much you're into it already. It should have brakes being that large. 2" ball means it's probably light on the weight capacity, what does the sticker list as max? That would be the biggest thing for me, is it rated to carry the weights I need, and is the deck big enough/wide enough? I personally don't like above deck side rails on a trailer, but that's just me.

Hey, at least it came with a 12 pack of beer.

:laughing:

/ Need trailer recommendations #27  

You are a victim of a bad deal on a used trailer!
I do not believe in buying any used equipment trailer.
You are usually getting 8 wheel bearings that have likely never been repacked, tires that are usually at least 1/2 worn out (I note that in your case only one tire is an issue),
tires that may be under rated for the rated trailer load, and electric brakes that do not work properly.
I am certain that your trailer does NOT have electric brakes, as there is no emergency electric brake battery shown in any of your pictures.
No brakes for an 8000 lb. rated load, would actually make the trailer illegal in many states.
I note that you believe the trailer is rated for 8000 lbs.
That would seem to mean that the axles are rated for 4000 lbs. each.
4000 lb. axles are somewhat of an oddball on a trailer like that.
Are you sure yours are not 3500 lb. axles?

SELL IT !!!!!

Last edited:
   / Need trailer recommendations #28  

I purchased a very, very similar trailer from my brother's boss after having borrowed it and while I had it, it burnt up a wheel bearing. I called him to tell him that I would need to keep it a couple more days in order to get it repaired, depending on what I found when I opened it up. He asked me what "worse case scenario" was on cost, which would be axle and hub. Told him about $350, and he said I could buy the trailer for less than that. So I paid $300 for the 16 foot trailer, no brakes, and used it for a few years, then sold it for $600. All I had to put on it was a wheel bearing. Wooden floor was approaching end of lifespan when I sold it.
David from jax

/ Need trailer recommendations #29  
The tongue of the trailer is stamped "Cat 4 8000lbs max, 1250lb max tongue weight".

I'm more leaning towards selling it, it was a bummer when I saw it didn't have breaks or ramps. I have ramps I can use but not that I will sell with the trailer.

/ Need trailer recommendations #30  
I'm in it $1100, if I was there I prob wouldn't have gone that high on it but it is what it is, fortunately around here I can at least get my money back out of it, I have seen trailers with rotten decks go for around $1000 lately, if there in good shape guys are asking $1500+ for a 7500lb-8000lb tandem trailer.

I still have access to a 18ft 10k trailer if I need one.

I will prob use this one to haul hay, after I'm stocked up on hay I will sell it.

It pulls a lot easier than my buddies, his is so stiff it makes the truck ride rough when empty.