BIG TEX 20AC 51 ILLEGAL IN CANADA

/ BIG TEX 20AC 51 ILLEGAL IN CANADA #1  

rockymountainhauler

Tractor
none
So, I own two of these wedge trailers-BIG TEX AC20, 51 feet, and I was pulled in at a western Canadian scale for suspicion that the effective rear overhang was beyond legal limits. After the measurements, INDEED THEY ARE AND BY ALOT. The trailers were bought cash new from a Canadian Big Tex Dealer. They were commercially inspected, Registered and Plated, and insured. BUT THEY ARE ILLEGAL. HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN??? Big Tex wants to add a third axle. I am still waiting for the drawings to prove it will make the trailer legal. According to my measurements that modification will not make the trailer legal in Canada. As an additional comment, the electrical wiring on the trailer does match up with the quality of the construction of the trailer. I am always repairing defective wiring and trailer lights out.

/ BIG TEX 20AC 51 ILLEGAL IN CANADA #2  
You could ask the man at the scales what makes the trailer illegal. Then you would know what to do to make it legal.

/ BIG TEX 20AC 51 ILLEGAL IN CANADA #4  
So if the above info is correct, I agree with you ... If BigTex adds a third axle, making the current rear most tandem the new center of the tridem group, the overhang will still be about 3 feet too long.

/ BIG TEX 20AC 51 ILLEGAL IN CANADA #5  
Just thinking out loud here, but could you get legal with a 3rd axle and a 60" spread on center?
Like this; O< +60"> O< +60" > O
That would give you 10'6" from the first axle to the last axle on center.

/ BIG TEX 20AC 51 ILLEGAL IN CANADA #6  
What is the actual application of this rule in Canada? (Ie, what trailers must comply/who must conform?)
I can see it applying for a traditional "semi truck" trailer, but any normal bumper tow, gooseneck, or 5th wheel (RV) would certainly fail... Is there a GVW limit, or hitch style, or something else that determines when you need to comply?

IMO, applying this criteria to trailers that are NOT towed by a traditional semi truck seems incorrect. It results if far too much weight going onto the hitch... Even for a gooseneck. Semi trucks are fine carrying as much weight on the hitch as on the trailer axles, but that's not the case with normal pickup style trucks...

I guess I'm suggesting that your trailer may only be illegal if you are applying the wrong rules to it... I no longer assume that law enforcement personnel know ALL the rules, or how to properly apply them. Is it possible you are being requested to comply with a law not meant to cover your trailer type?

Good luck!

/ BIG TEX 20AC 51 ILLEGAL IN CANADA #7  
Here is the law for Alberta: http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2002_315.pdf, I see 4 meters or 35% of the effective wheelbase (hitch to center of axles), but it is listed for a truck or bus, intercity bus, pony trailer, bed truck, picker truck, winch truck or jeep logger (max 4M) and for a semi trailer (max 35%).
Might look and see if your trailer fits in one of those classes.
Also, what is the wheelbase of the trailer (5th wheel to center of the axles) and the overhang (center of axles to back of trailer)?

Aaron Z

/ BIG TEX 20AC 51 ILLEGAL IN CANADA #8  
According to these rules there is not a commercial car hauler on the road that can meet these rules.