14k vs 20k trailer?

/ 14k vs 20k trailer? #1  

trook

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 5075E Cab
I currently have a 14k 22+2 low boy gooseneck trailer. However, I have increased my tractor size to a JD 5075E with a FEL and MX-8 8ft rotary cutter. The tractor/cutter combo is difficult to get onto the trailer to say the least because the fenders are in the way, and the cutter hangs way over the edge of the trailer making the rear tie downs very difficult to secure.

I am considering a deck over trailer. The question is do I go with a 20+5 14k deckover trailer with single wheel tandem axle's, or do I go ahead and get dual wheels on the axle's for a 20k trailer? I know I am pushing the 14k rating now, and I estimate the total weight of the tractor, loaded tires, fel, and mx8 to be approximately 11k. That leaves me about 3k worth of trailer weight to remain at/under the max load for a 14k trailer.

I am pulling this with a 2007 4x4 silverado 2500 with the duramax/allison. What do you think? Go with another 14k in a deckover or go with the much more expensive 20k dual wheel deckover?

This doesn't even consider the maximum pulling weight of the duramax. Hopefully, pulling roughly 16-17k (weight of tractor and larger trailer) will not be an issue.

/ 14k vs 20k trailer? #2  
I had a 20' equipment trailer and it was always a problem with the fenders and trying to get everything just so, so it would tow better and I finally went with a 25+5 Gatormade gooseneck deckover with a pierced frame and 2-10k axles with 17.5 super single tires because I didn't want tandem duals and I absolutely love it. You can pick them up at the factory in Kentucky for less than 8k. One more thing I pull mine with a 2015 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 6.0 gas motor, you will have no problem pulling it with the diesel.

/ 14k vs 20k trailer? #3  
Just get a deck-over GN with a 16000# rating. That would give you 14k on the axles and the rest on the hitch. I have one like that and the trailer weighs around 6k by itself. I carry a 3720 with FEL, loaded tires, B-BOX, blade and box blade attachments like a shot with it.

Of course making a trailer change for an extra 2k capacity would take some thought.

/ 14k vs 20k trailer? #4  
For sure go with tandem duals. My 5055e cab with h240 loader and loaded tires was around 10-11k. Then you add in the mx8 and chains/binders. With the tandem duals you also have 4 more tires to spread the load over, larger brakes and suspension. I would recommend to go with a 25+5 though. Won't have to rest the bucket on the neck. Gives more options. If you can afford it, get the elec/hyd disc brakes. They are incredible.

I found a 35+5 with tandem 15k axles and elec/hyd brakes and I think I'm set. Won't be worrying about being to heavy. It's better to know you have more trailer than you need than be wishing you had bigger

Brett

/ 14k vs 20k trailer? #5  
Get the duel tandem.

/ 14k vs 20k trailer? #6  
I finally went with a 25+5 Gatormade gooseneck deckover with a pierced frame and 2-10k axles with 17.5 super single tires because I didn't want tandem duals and I absolutely love it.

Keeping track of 8 tires & wheels can be a pita. I like Lineman's set up/thinking!

/ 14k vs 20k trailer? #7  
I have a slightly bigger tractor with a 5083e and a slightly bigger mower Mx10 on my moritz 14.5k 20+5 deck over gn. I used to pu it with a 3500 srw cummins and it sure felt like a heck of a load. Granted I usually had a 563 loader, bucket, loaded tires, and wheel weights on. I always had trouble getting the tractor positioned well to not get to much tongue weight (I had airbags as well) and also not to much of the weight on the axles. I never weighed that setup but I felt 100% better going with a bigger truck that didn't care where the tractor was placed.

Long story short, I think you need to get the bigger trailer. I'll also venture to guess that if you have many hills to tow on or if yiu tow often, you might be looking for a bigger truck soon too.

/ 14k vs 20k trailer?
I don't have many hills, and I will not tow often. Also, I don't drive very far. Never more than 25 miles, but normally about 10 miles. Do you think the Silverado 2500 Duramax/Allison can handle the load? We are talking about 16-18k depending on the weight of the trailer.

/ 14k vs 20k trailer? #9  
I don't have many hills, and I will not tow often. Also, I don't drive very far. Never more than 25 miles, but normally about 10 miles. Do you think the Silverado 2500 Duramax/Allison can handle the load? We are talking about 16-18k depending on the weight of the trailer.

I pulled my old tractor and trailer with a 13 f250 Powerstroke. It does great. Really try and find a trailer with the elec/hyd disc brakes though. Made the biggest difference in pulling trailers and more importantly stopping.

Brett

/ 14k vs 20k trailer? #10  

You are going to have to be the judge of that. There are some super truckers on this board that would tow a 747 with a half ton. I personally didn't like towing my tractor with my 1 ton pickup. I had several hills that 40mph was all she would do. Then coming down the back side was quite the experience when the rear end of your truck feels spongy. A gooseneck is the best choice for the job and the electric over hydraulic is a NICE upgrade. You may not be bothered by it but only you can decide. You could look up your towing ratings and see where you land.