Truck PTO, anyone have one?

/ Truck PTO, anyone have one? #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
Does anyone run anything from a truck PTO? I understand running hydraulics, but has anyone run anything else? Generator, compressor, pump etc?

/ Truck PTO, anyone have one? #2  
I've seen some winches run from PTOs, but it's been a long time.

/ Truck PTO, anyone have one? #3  
There was a time a PTO takeoff on a truck was not uncommon. No electric winches etc. All mechanical drive. Also had gin pole trucks back then and hydraulics would be run off of a PTO driven pump.

One jacked up rear wheel was also used as a mechanical drive.

/ Truck PTO, anyone have one? #4  
Does anyone run anything from a truck PTO? I understand running hydraulics, but has anyone run anything else? Generator, compressor, pump etc?
I don't, but I've seen all of the above... especially compressors and front mounted winches.

SR

/ Truck PTO, anyone have one? #5  
Water pumps on fire trucks? Jon

/ Truck PTO, anyone have one? #6  

I've seen some mechanically run PTO winches but they are very rare. Mostly on old military gear. Most winches are electric these days but I've also seen hydraulic winches, also rare. You can run those with a power steering pump.

/ Truck PTO, anyone have one? #7  
I've run winches from transmission PTO, these are expensive reversible drives, pumps be it hydraulic or water only have to turn in one direction.

Oil field winch trucks, the preferred trucks have 5/ 4 transmissions with a power tower mounted on top of the four speed auxiliary transmission.

To use the power tower the auxiliary is put into neutral, with range speeds selected from the main transmission.

Commercial boats like small gill netters have accessories run off hydraulics from a pump belt driven from engine having an electric clutch to engage the pump when needed.

pump.png

43ec3422-f102-4421-9958-e863.jpg

/ Truck PTO, anyone have one? #8  
When I ordered my 1999 F250 Superduty, there was some mention of it being PTO capable, but it doesn't have a PTO. Maybe it was a Ford option or it needed 3rd party additional hardware.

/ Truck PTO, anyone have one? #9  
Yes, the superduty trucks had an auto trans pto option. My uncle had an early '99 rollback (tow truck) that operated via pto driven hydraulic pump. Electronic control of high idle depending on load. Not all of the 4R100 Auto trans cases had the pto access plate.

/ Truck PTO, anyone have one? #10  
Yes, the superduty trucks had an auto trans pto option. My uncle had an early '99 rollback (tow truck) that operated via pto driven hydraulic pump. Electronic control of high idle depending on load. Not all of the 4R100 Auto trans cases had the pto access plate.

For what it's worth, this was a 6 speed manual. I prefer manuals and nobody stocks them so I had to order it.