Taking tongue jack apart

/ Taking tongue jack apart #1  

jcummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, F3680, Mule Pro Fxt
This isn't on a trailer but a batwing. It's takes considerable force to make it move. It appears they took off without removing the jack and the parts sliding together are binding.

How do I get the foot out of this jack? 20170704_113139.jpg

/ Taking tongue jack apart #2  
I's imagine that there is a stop to keep it from unscrewing all the way out, so if there is a 90 degree gear arrangement at the handle, I think that you have to remove the handle, drive out the roll pin on the driven gear and the whole thing should come out the bottom.

/ Taking tongue jack apart #3  
Wow! I have never seen that before. :eek:

(Not the Tongue Jack. Seen plenty of those. Yours is toast with a bent shaft now. Buy a new one. )

No, I mean a vice mounted sideways on a staircase. :proposetoast: Good use of space. (You do need to tidy-up your workspace though).

Regards,
:wrench:

/ Taking tongue jack apart
That is one very small corner of a 40x60 barn. Put that vise there for welding purposes. The steps is an easy place to sit things down. Yes need to put some of that away.

/ Taking tongue jack apart #5  
I have tried to fix those type of jacks and believe me, it is best to just buy another one. They aren't that expensive to replace and even if you could get them apart, where would you find replacement parts.

/ Taking tongue jack apart #6  
I have worked on hundreds of them on semi trailers, though more heavy duty.
There should be a keeper on the horizontal gear, either nut or pin.
With the keeper removed the lower leg should come out.
If it works that hard you will need pound on the bottom to get it out.
If it is not bent too bad some times you can ding in the tight spot to free it up.
Worst case is if the worm shaft is damaged or worm shaft nut stripped or broken.
Once you get it apart you can figure out what is damaged. No harm in trying!

I have worked on hundreds of them on semi trailers, though more heavy duty.
There should be a keeper on the horizontal gear, either nut or pin.
With the keeper removed the lower leg should come out.
If it works that hard you will need pound on the bottom to get it out.
If it is not bent too bad some times you can ding in the tight spot to free it up.
Worst case is if the worm shaft is damaged or worm shaft nut stripped or broken.
Once you get it apart you can figure out what is damaged. No harm in trying!
Kind of the way I see it. The gears on top are still good. Enough metal in it, if I can get apart thinking I can grind away the binding areas.

/ Taking tongue jack apart #8  
Can not tell from the picture. Is there not a "c" ring or keeper ring of some sort at the top of the shaft where it exits the square tubbing of the jack ? Handle come off, ring comes of the top of the shaft sticking out the top then the innards of the jack are pushed out the bottom.

For anyone interested, got this apart AND realized what's binding it. The vertical gear on the handle has a pin. Everything was froze up but finally got it. The horizontal pin from a youtube video, should just then lift out to reveal a pin. Knock it out, should drop out.

My horizontal gear is perhaps permanent froze. I noted a good size dent on the outer tube that's the reason for the bind. I just started cranking, had to stop several times....it is TIGHT.

Now it's apart, what do I do with the binding dent? Have thought of just drilling holes around it and take all the metal out in that dent area? Anyone with suggestions?
217dda03f2509d7debe175fdfd814660.jpg
7dcf34f9e401d1d77bd366341c1551f9.jpg

/ Taking tongue jack apart #10  
Time to buy a new one!